Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Data Library; Oops! That page can't be found  

Katie Bush
Topic starter
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter
Posted by: @crustytv

In response to constructive criticism, the "Hot Link" bubbles are now more easily accessible from wherever you are on blog or forum. For example; be it drilled down in forum thread or a blog knowledge base article, should you wish to say jump to the data library, you can easily do so.

In case you're missing the obvious, they now reside upper most top right. Prior to this you had to always return to the forum homepage to find them, which in hindsight was cumbersome.

Hi Chris,

That's a handy trick!

Though I thought, just for the sake of it, I'd visit the data library and look for info on the Philips PM5509 (since I've just got one), but although the files appear to be there, I get a new window opening right enough, but with the message "Oops, that page can't be found".

Would that be the implementation of the space saving clean up? Or is there a problem somewhere?

Mod Note: this and subsequent posts split from here

7 Replies
crustytv
Admin
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder
Posted by: @katie-bush

Would that be the implementation of the space saving clean up? Or is there a problem somewhere?

Hi Marion, it's neither. That's how the library is configured, there's no preview and it stops people posting direct links to actual library files. You're forced to right-click to download.

Someone forgot ? to read the data library advice FAQ which can be found here, I mentioned it to you when we were rebuilding your account. Don't worry though you're not alone, very few read the FAQ's as I pointed out to another member.

Katie Bush
Topic starter
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter

Hi Marion, it's neither. That's how the library is configured, there's no preview and it stops people posting direct links to actual library files. You're forced to right-click to download.

Okay, ?

You wouldn't think I'd not long since made a 'smash and grab' raid of test card music - would you? ??

neil1974
Registered
(@neil1974)
Honorable V-Ratter

I've just tried to view some of the TV times but I get the oops page cant be found which I've had before whilst looking for service info etc.

Mod note: This post moved from another thread to this thread as its the same subject.

crustytv
Admin
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder
Posted by: @neil1974

I get the oops page cant be found which I've had before whilst looking for service info etc

That's because you're not familiar with the data library Neil, and have either not read the FAQ or asked.

To download you need to right click the file and then select download. No preview (or click to open) only download.

Twas all comprehensively covered in the FAQ here but folk rarely if ever bother to read any of my FAQ guides. Guess it's a certain "man-thing", after all why read instructions....A? ?

Mod note: This post moved from another thread to this thread as its the same subject.

1 Reply
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

Famed V-Ratter
Posted by: @neil1974

I get the oops page cant be found which I've had before whilst looking for service info etc

That's because you're not familiar with the data library Neil, and have either not read the FAQ or asked.

To download you need to right click the file and then select download. No preview (or click to open) only download.

Twas all comprehensively covered in the FAQ here but folk rarely if ever bother to read any of my FAQ guides. Guess it's a certain "man-thing", after all why read instructions....A? ?

Would it not be possible to change the "Oops [...]" message for something more helpful? Like, "Right click to download this (or that) file".... ?

crustytv
Admin
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

Hi Marion,

unfortunately that message is not generated or controlled by me, It is a WordPress standard system response, to an html "404 error code", which is "file not found". It is applied to any request for a file that does not exist.

As it is a generically applied response, I cannot apply logic to it to determine if the missing file request is a blog post, blog page, forum post, forum thread, media file or library file. The security of the library makes the file invisible, so when a user tries to preview it is treated as a "404".

In anticipation of the library use and folk trying to double click the file, I made every effort to inform members and provide guidance as to how the library works and covered downloading. You will note on the data library home page three links at the bottom of the page (see example below) each covering the various aspects and functionality of the library. Sadly folk rarely if ever take the time to read them. There is little else I can do than repeat the advice that a frequently give. If something does not work, first consult the FAQ's, then if nothing is found, raise a ticket in the appropriate support section.

datalibadvice
crustytv
Admin
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

With all due respect, I think silly month has descended upon Vrat. In addition to the two most recent queries re this threads topic, I've now just had a third, in the shape of a "contact" form query, as shown below.

Contact xxxxx

I just thought I'd take a look to see what is in the library but I'm finding a few broken links: Aerials, Knobs, Content of BBC Research, General Historic and Modulators.

I get: Oops! That page can’t be found

Can I ask, is it really too much to ask people to read? Arrows in the photo below are a clue. As I've said above, I've gone out of my way to provide guides and an FAQ section on the forum. I draw the line at spoon feeding.

datalibadvice

Its not just the data library, its how do I attach a file to a post, how do send a pm, how do I change my password, how do I quote. The list is endless as are the FAQ's I've written. I get the impression few folk scroll down the page and just look at the one section that interests them.

Entire FAQ Section:Here

General Questions: Here

I'm sorry if I seem abrupt but going over the same question time and time again is not only frustrating but soul destroying. I'm closing this thread now with one final piece of advice, find any post made by Terrykc and take note of his signature.