23 Posts
7 Users
81 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Forum 142

Thanks to the kindness of Jim, (jcdaze) the technical library has started to be populated with the "Ferguson Feedback" publication. Jim has 40 issues and the first three issues have been scanned and uploaded via the library donation service, the rest will follow in due course. I for one will find these invaluable especially as Thorn and their offerings be it TV, VCR or audio, feature significantly in my collection.

Once again many thanks to Jim for his efforts 👍

Along with all the other publications such as CES Philips this further adds to the already extensive data in the library.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 22/06/2020 11:26 am
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Thankyou so much to both of you for making these available once again.

A shop I used to work for gave me a folder full of these, sadly I had to dispose of them at the time, I tried at the time to either store them elsewhere or even give them away, neither option worked out for the best unfortunately.

It will be a nice walk down memory lane for me, and no doubt others.

Thanks again.

Posted : 22/06/2020 11:27 am
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)
Reputable Member Registered

Glad you enjoy seeing them again Red to Black, I'm going to try and upload 2 or 3 a day. I've always found it difficult to chuck technical information away and those Ferguson feedbacks cover a wide variety of subjects. Happy reading.

Posted : 22/06/2020 11:27 am
Red_to_Black, Marconi_MPT4, crustytv and 6 people reacted
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Thanks for uploading the files, they were published after my time in the trade but still very readable.

When manufactures supplied good service manuals, monthly updates and training facilities, I don’t think it’s the same today.

Frank

Posted : 22/06/2020 11:49 am
Red_to_Black, jcdaze, Red_to_Black and 3 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

The first batch, issues 1 thru 9 including the index, are now in the data library.

p.s.
Great quality scans Jim, just as they should be, straight, clear and high resolution. ?

Posted : 23/06/2020 8:36 am
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

Thanks for these. That's my lunchtime reading sorted for the next week or so

Best regards

Mike

Posted : 24/06/2020 6:04 am
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)

I hope the latest batch are straight and clear as I did them last night with after enjoying a couple of pints of beer! There is a list of monochrome model numbers and chassis types in issue 12 as a follow up to the issue with colour model and chassis types.

Posted : 24/06/2020 8:08 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Cheers Jim, still quality whilst "under the influence", most impressive ? 

Thanks for the heads-up on additional B&W chassis data, the chassis guide has now been updated ? 

Posted : 24/06/2020 8:55 am
Nuvistor, jcdaze, Nuvistor and 3 people reacted
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)

Thanks for making these available.

I only have issues (14~16) concerning the CD01 compact disc player, it will be interesting to read through the other issues as articles are well written and simply explain technicalities.. A valuable addition to the library.

Rich

Posted : 24/06/2020 1:36 pm
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)

I'm pleased that they are appreciated as I've had kept them for all 35 years or so and they are the kind of technical  information that needs saving and sharing. Thanks to Chris for making that possible. I thought at first that I had 40 copies to scan and upload but have now found more and that means there will be 54 editions in total. 

Posted : 24/06/2020 3:00 pm
Red_to_Black, crustytv, Red_to_Black and 3 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @jcdaze

I thought at first that I had 40 copies to scan and upload but have now found more and that means there will be 54 editions in total. 

54!!! ? Your pain ? (referencing scanning) is our gain ?   

Posted : 24/06/2020 3:34 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

@jcdaze can I also add my thanks for the work you have done and also a request if I may? I’ve been on the lookout for a DER technical bulletin for some time, it has the details of a modification to remove interference emanating from the 7 segment LED driver stage on the TRUMPS2 board. This was used in some versions of the TX100, It’s not the mod details I’m after but if you have you’ll see the connection.

John.

Posted : 24/06/2020 8:41 pm
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)

@jayceebee I'll certainly have a browse through what I've got with reference that mod and the led driver. Issue 32 of the Feedback has a detailed article on the TRUMPS2 circuit and I should be uploading that sometime next week. 

Posted : 25/06/2020 8:06 am
Red_to_Black, Jayceebee, Red_to_Black and 3 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Boy are these Ferguson Feedback's a veritable goldmine of useful information for TVs, VCRs etc! Not least of which I now know the identity of my 1st gen ultrasonic remote, for one of my 9000 based TV's, it's a T705. I think these papers are going to prove so very useful to countless folk, when they're repairing various pieces of kit supplied from the Thorn stable.

We're up to issue 21 now  ?

Posted : 26/06/2020 8:41 am
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Thanks again to Chris for hosting this, and to jcdaze for taking the time to scan, upload, and share these.

I did have quite a few of these, although not by any means all, and I always regretted not keeping them.

Chris, I am downloading these as they appear if that is ok with you ? I don't want to appear to be abusing the data library and I am not usually a "serial downloader" of your data by any stretch, just that I would like to keep a local personal (for me only) copy to read through as time permits, I hope this is ok ?

Thanks once again to both of you for making these available.

Posted : 26/06/2020 3:24 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @red_to_black

Chris, I am downloading these as they appear if that is ok with you ? I don't want to appear to be abusing the data library and I am not usually a "serial downloader" of your data by any stretch, just that I would like to keep a local personal (for me only) copy to read through as time permits, I hope this is ok ?

Don't be silly Baz, you're a stalwart of Vrat, a long serving member who has helped me and many others out with your trade experience, more times than I care to remember. So fill yer boots man ?

The library is only behind a wall to protect it from the opportunists, the ones who shout the loudest when they find they can't just waltz in and get stuff. Just here to get freebies, with no intention of posting or being part of this great community.

Posted : 26/06/2020 3:32 pm
Cathovisor, Red_to_Black, Cathovisor and 3 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Up to issue 42 now ?.

Just in case anyone is wondering, issue 38 has not been forgotten, its actually missing from Jim's collection.

Posted : 01/07/2020 9:37 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

With today's update, only 9 to go now Jim. The finishing line is within sight. ?

Posted : 02/07/2020 8:28 am
jcdaze, jcdaze and jcdaze reacted
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)

I'm sorry if some of the circuit diagrams that I scanned are not very easy to patch together but they are on fold out pages and it's like trying to scan a large map on an A4 scanner. But as you say only a few more batches to scan and I'll be free. 

Posted : 02/07/2020 8:50 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Hi Jim, no problem. I've had the same task untold times when scanning huge great Thorn circuits from service manuals. It took me a while but I figured out the best way to do these so I no longer have problems. Thanks for all your efforts, unless folk embark on large amounts of scanning themselves, I don't think folk really appreciate how mind-numbing the task is. I once had to do a 120 page manual and like a fool I did it in one sitting. 

Posted : 02/07/2020 9:06 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: