4 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

How to Quote

• All you need do now is highlight the text you wish to quote from a post and then click on the quote icon that appears floating on the screen, the forum does the rest for you. You can add multiple quotes from other posts in the same manner, it knows where you copied it from and who you are quoting then auto fills the box. (see attachment below)

qexamp

Quote Netiquette

Firstly you'll find the other forums, including the ones in the vintage radio & TV community make the same following request either in their rules or advice. The execution or implementation may vary but the sentiment remains the same, here we/I, make the exact same plea.

"Please do not quote the entire contents of a previous post unless absolutely necessary"

Why?

There is good reason to make this request.

Over time unnecessary quotes increase the overall Database size, I speak from experience having managed Vrat 1.0 and now Vrat 2.0 since 2011. This in turn makes our backups bloated with all the unnecessary quoting. Remember storage costs money, by only quoting when necessary or editing down your quote, you're actually helping to increase the efficiency of the database and reduce the operational forum costs. As we're seeing a marked increase in activity and the forum starting to grow, it makes sense to try and get this addressed at an early stage, rather than later.

So How Can You Help Vrat 2.0?

When replying to the most recent message, that being the post preceding the one you're about to make, nine times out of ten its just not necessary to quote its entire content, or in some cases, even at all.

If you do need to quote the most recent post, edit the quote to pick out the salient point/s you wish to respond to.

Remember the golden rule for quoting:
Quoting should be reserved for picking out particular points or when responding to a post other than the most recent one.

When members forget the above advice the moderation team will discreetly edit the quote or in some cases where the quote is deemed unnecessary, remove it. This is not meant as a negative reflection on any one member. This is not meant to be seen as a dictatorial stance or being finicky.

It is the hope that this post is taken in the good spirit it was intended, that folk pause to think about their next quote.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 08/04/2018 9:39 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

bump

Posted : 21/09/2019 10:12 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Update

I see some are members are occasionally having trouble with quoting content of a previous post. As detailed above it's fairly simple, and even more so now since we moved to version 2.0 of the forum software.

As before you just highlight the text that you wish to quote in your post, it will be shown in bright blue, you will also see a quote symbol appear. Click on this symbol and the text you highlighted will be copied to your edit window, with all the correct delimters. DO NOT EDIT THE DELIMITERS. I've seen this time and time again. If you need to edit the text, then just edit the text (see pic below, what is in the blue box) not the delimiters.

Quoting delimiter format here, is not the same as UKVRRR.

quotedelim

Posted : 23/03/2023 11:19 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

^bump

Due to this https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/community/rant/national-uk-mobile-telephone-blocking-test/paged/2/#post-115938

Do not edit out quote delimiters, it breaks quotes and makes the forum look a mess. The FAQ above cleary defines whats what.

Posted : 23/04/2023 9:57 pm
Share: