Notifications
Clear all

Workshop 1990s Lock-up items

mfd70
(@mfd70)
Active V-Ratter Registered

This last week I've had access to my lock-up with items from when my TV and VCR repair business was a active between 1992-1999, I've not been in there for twelve years, although I had retrieved most of my useful test equipment and tools before that. However there are plenty of surprises and some are pictured below. There is also my stash of Television magazines from 1986 to about 2000 and several service manuals, I was surprised at how many VCR service manuals I have, I must have fixed hundreds of VCRs, but can't really remember any of them, TV's stuck in my mind more and most TV's at that time I could work on without a manual.

Here are some of the items I have so far retrieved,

An ITT 20" teletext TV, I can't remember which chassis this is but I'd buy them from CentreVision  in Cardiff and repair the rear case damage where the coin-meter had been removed and sell them for between £120-150, they sold well until about 1995 and I can't ever remember repairing one. I kept this one as it had a almost new (1994) re-gun, this one will require repair now, looks like it needs the HT smoothing cap replacing, I must have a manual somewhere. Also a 14" Pye, this dates from about 1987 and I bought it myself from a co-op department store after a summer job there that year, never had massive use and looks to be working fine.

Some home built test kit, lead-acid and Nicad battery charger, bit over engineered and weighs about 10lbs. A Manor supplies signal strength meter, one of several items (mostly now gone) from a closed down TV shop in 1991, never used it much as I didn't do aerial work. Then 5/12/24/90 volt PSU built from and old CRT monitor SMPSU which worked without a load, handy for TV and VCR PSU faults and a 50-90V PSU from a Television design I built when I was about 15 to power a Sky Baronet battery valve radio, no mains isolation so probably a bit lethal , in fact it smoked a lot after I took the picture with the power on.

More items to come if anyone is interested.... 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/01/2022 9:41 pm
Alex728, Lloyd and WayneD liked
WayneD
(@wayned)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

Love the Rediffusion selector switch in the background too!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/01/2022 10:29 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

That ITT telly looks very similar to one I pulled from a skip back when I was at school in the late 90’s! 

Regards,

Lloyd 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/01/2022 12:39 am
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)

The parents of one of my friends when I was young had a similar ITT set, often it would have his Commodore 64 connected to it.

Eventually he got a colour portable for a monitor, being an only child meant his relatives had a bigger than normal present budget.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/01/2022 11:24 pm
mfd70
(@mfd70)

I got a bit of time to look at the ITT CVC1200, looks like the HT smoothing cap has healed itself and it now has a nice picture and teletext is working fine too. Looks like this nice looking compact 20" set will become a useful TV somewhere in the house, I have six analog channels distribution, but the usefulness of this set would be better with a CVBS input. It was pre-Scart era but there was an AV retro-fit kit, does anyone have any information about this ? A circuit diagram would be good but even a decent picture would be OK as it must be pretty simple to make a suitable circuit. The only reference in the service manuals is the connector for the kit to plug into.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/03/2022 8:38 pm