Share:
Notifications
Clear all

A Salutary Tale

6.3volts
(@6-3volts)
Active V-Ratter Registered

Several years ago I collected an MW36/24 from a person's home. While there we got into conversation about modern times and how most vintage gear is sadly in landfill.

He thought for a moment then handed to me a CRM 152B which he had replaced in a set back in the sixties. He and I both agreed that it was a thing of beauty and even though it had an open heater it was a shame to destroy it. I took it because he wanted me to "look after it" for him, he was very elderly and was close to the end. It was my great pleasure to accept his gift.

Several years later, having looked after it, I am clearing some room in my workshop and have already drilled a tiny hole in the neck of another tube with a very obviously blown heater. Sadly I am walking towards this 152B with my glass drill when a little voice tells me to try one last thing. I had tried to resolder the heater wires in the base in the past and nothing had changed but this time I removed the base and soldered directly to the wires. Bingo 2V and 1.4A . So I connected my home made crt tester and Bingo again! My tester is not calibrated but I'm looking at very good emission.

I suppose the moral of this tale is not to give up and send these precious things to the tip. The phosphor looks good so in time I'll connect it to my Ultra V815 chassis and see if I have an acceptable picture.

Regards to all Jonathan.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/07/2020 12:38 pm
ntscuser, Cathovisor, crustytv and 1 people liked
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

That's very good news: the last time I had a Mazda tube like this, nothing was going to bring it back from the dead as it had the usual issue of the cathode weld failing - something Mazda has managed to achieve so well right back to the days of the AC/TP back in the early 30s.

Well done, may it emit photons for many moons to come.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2020 2:44 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

That is good news! Can't be many of those tubes left in good condition now.

I had a Mazda CRM121a CRT from a member of UKVRRR a while ago, that had been found in an old shop, he had a selection of them, and they were all sold as seen, and mine was even in a box! Sadly it said it was 'no good' on the box, but I thought it'd be worth a shot, as I have sets here with duds in them. I gave it a quick test with a megger to see if it could at least produce a blob, and it did! and that was about it. I decided to have a go at my Murphy V180C after tidying my workshop recently, and I'd robbed the tube out of it and swapped it with a dud from and Ekco T161, which was only any good for viewing at night! So I put the CRM121A into the Murphy, at first it looked no better than the previous tube, but I gave it a shot of the 'non destructive tube reactivation' and then it came up with a fair, watchable picture. It's not in it's first flush of youth, but certainly useable!

Regards,

Lloyd.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2020 5:40 pm
6.3volts
(@6-3volts)
Active V-Ratter Registered

@cathovisor

Thanks, When (if) I have a picture on it I'll post it up.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/07/2020 5:54 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @lloyd

I put the CRM121A into the Murphy, at first it looked no better than the previous tube, but I gave it a shot of the 'non destructive tube reactivation' and then it came up with a fair, watchable picture. It's not in it's first flush of youth, but certainly useable!

I have what appears to be a serviceable CRM121 in my RGD B2351T TV, which is part of the impressive "3 in 1" setup - yes, I have the matching RPA5 record player and the 750C console radio too.

Sadly, I think it's all going to have to go.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2020 5:58 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Funny you should mention the RGD, back when I saw the Murphy V180C there was an RGD B2351T for sale with the same seller as the Murphy, and I was actually bidding on it myself, but lost it when the price shot up over £300! So I decided to go for the Murphy as a consolation prize! When I went to collect the Murphy, the RGD was still there, so the seller let me have a look at it, he also had a 3rd set too, but I can't remember what it was now. It's great that you have the matching radio and record player, I saw the whole setup at the NVCF one year, and it did look quite impressive.

Regards,

Lloyd.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2020 8:22 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

@lloyd

My ropey B2351T sold for £5 at Wootton Bassett a couple of years ago ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2020 11:40 pm