A solid state/electromechanical replacement for magic eye tuning indicators

5 Posts
5 Users
18 Likes
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Here's an interesting video, exploring the possibility of a substitute for EM34 style tuning indicator valves.

Posted : 21/12/2020 6:30 pm
helloekco, freya, jcdaze and 6 people reacted
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

Interesting idea but I think I prefer the all electronic version (rather like the EMI system over Baird)!

Solid State Replacement for 6U5 & 6E5 Magic Eye Tubes (electronbunker.ca)

Posted : 21/12/2020 10:11 pm
helloekco, crustytv, helloekco and 3 people reacted
helloekco
(@helloekco)
Reputable Member Registered

That's really clever but I would have thought it would be simpler to have a series of segment type LEDs arranged in a circle, covered by some kind of diffuser. Totally electronic, like EMI!

Posted : 23/12/2020 9:49 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

interesting idea, looks rather complicated to me though! When it said about electro-mechanical magic eye tubes I thought maybe it would have something like a little meter movement with a pointer made to cast a shadow in front of an led, something I might try myself! I’ve got an R1155 radio here that could do with a new magic eye, maybe time for some experimentation, when I’ve cleared a few other projects out of the way.

Regards 

Lloyd 

Posted : 25/12/2020 11:23 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@lloyd

The one eye I don't think is in terribly short supply is the VI103, they're just expensive.

Now, if we were talking the pre-war Ferranti magic eye (the VFT4) with an IO base and a 4V heater...

Posted : 25/12/2020 11:39 am
Share: