Any Easter Workshop Antics Planned?

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

So have any of you "Mad-hatter-Vrat-ters" got Easter projects lined up for a visit to the bench. Maybe a Radio, TV, Amp or piece of test equipment or are you all just going to be stuffin Turkey and Chocolate eggs while watching Ben-Hur for the umpteenth time? 

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 29/03/2018 1:38 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

It depends on whether or not I decide to sort out my knackered plumbing (I should really) and get some hot water again in addition to adding and altering radiators - or I might just have a look at a new toy I've acquired, a HP 8601 sweep generator.

I bought this from the BVWS Harpenden auction for a particular project; to wit, sorting out the IF strip on the GEC BT8161. We used to use these generators for sweeping the video path of a camera channel.

It's in filthy condition (although cleaner than when acquired!) and worryingly, there was the loose remains of a solid tantalum cap lying in the body of the generator, along with corroded leads sticking out of the board, and molten goop on the lower vent panel. The cap is 330uF @ 30V, solid tantalum and forms part of the ramp generator circuit. I looked for caps of that exact spec, and Farnell do sell them. There are problems though.

1. US stock, so a delivery charge of £16 an order.
  2. MOQ of these caps is 20.
  3. They're £55 EACH.

I think a modern electrolytic will be good enough....!

Posted : 29/03/2018 2:19 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: Cathovisor
  1. US stock, so a delivery charge of £16 an order.
  2. MOQ of these caps is 20.
  3. They're £55 EACH.

I think a modern electrolytic will be good enough....!

Yikes!!!!!  ? Damn straight a modern electro will do!

Sounds like a nice piece of kit, I like HP stuff.  ? Though its always extremely pricey.

Posted : 29/03/2018 2:30 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

One thought: since when did turkey become a 'thing' at Easter, or is this the supermarkets trying to turn Easter - arguably the most important Christian festival - into a Christmas 2.0?

Posted : 29/03/2018 4:12 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

I have a job to do for my boss at work, he has given me a Sharp amplifier and cassette deck he wants to be serviced. Could be interesting, will post a thread later.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 29/03/2018 4:34 pm
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)
Reputable Member Registered

I'll be looking at a couple of "turkeys"over Easter I bought them a while back.  A Humax Freesat box (dead), and a Talktalk Freeview box stuck on boot up. I think it will just be a case of salvaging the hard drives!

Posted : 29/03/2018 5:29 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: abctelevision

I'll be looking at a couple of "turkeys"over Easter I bought them a while back.  A Humax Freesat box (dead), and a Talktalk Freeview box stuck on boot up. I think it will just be a case of salvaging the hard drives!

It sounds like the inevitable dried-out electrolytics in the PSU scenario.

These days, unless the boxes are -S2 or -T2 capable, I bin them with the exception of the Goodmans boxes made for distribution to the elderly during DSO because they have front panel controls and a modulator.

Posted : 29/03/2018 5:57 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

I might actually make a good start on the Great Workshop Tidy Up!! I've been meaning to do it for over 18 months but now the only clear bit of floor space is about a square foot in front of the bench I really need to do something about it. With luck I might be able to make a start on my signal distribution.

Posted : 29/03/2018 7:09 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Well,

If it counts, I had my 2009 (MY) Go-Go Elite Traveller Plus scooter in bits this afternoon! I replaced the transaxle, since it's been creaking and graunching since I bought it back in February.

The last time I encountered this noise was on a large sized machine, and in that case it turned out the transaxle casing was broken at the outer end on one side - the Wheel bearing was rotating in the casing and grinding away at the metal. So in this case a nearly new axle was sourced via eBay - cheap at £40, and fitted this afternoon. It took all of 45 minutes to do in the warm sunshine and the only snagette I encountered was the lack of a 4.5mm Allen key. Borrowed from Brian, next door, and job was a good 'un.

Forty five minutes was plenty long enough, and I'm paying the price now, with everything stiffening up - not a good omen for the future, but by the time I'd finished, the temperature had dropped by about 4 degrees.

Glad to say the old "Plus Bus" goes like a new one again...... So, not really forum related, but a very satisfying result.

I will investigate the old axle, but I can say right now, the casing does not appear to be broken, nor the bearing turning in its housing.

In the meantime, I do battle with the DWP - five months so far, phase one completed, phase two begins two days ago................

One day, I will get something interesting to look at?

Posted : 29/03/2018 7:50 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

Well I might get some time to myself this weekend to do some vintage projects! Car’s going in tomorrow to have some new tyres and some loose bits sorted, so won’t be going anywhere. There’s an Ekco RS3 spread out around the shed, which I’m half way through cleaning and recapping, and I bought a Windsor 65b signal generator to replace my newer RS one which is massively out of cal, and doesn’t seem to be adjustable. Also got some clocks to play with, but they are probably not of interest! 

Regards,

Lloyd

Posted : 30/03/2018 8:24 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: Lloyd

Also got some clocks to play with, but they are probably not of interest! 

Regards,

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

Actually I find clocks very interesting and have a few here that need sorting.....one day  ?  

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 30/03/2018 10:19 am
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

Well, here's one of them! I think it's french, late 1800's, so far just needed a good clean, it's well worn inside but it does run, has a lovely quiet tick, but it currently looses about 10 minutes over a week, which is better than the 15 minutes a day it was loosing last week! Another tweak of the pendulum is required.

IMG 5493

Regards,

Lloyd

Posted : 30/03/2018 11:49 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: Lloyd

[...] Also got some clocks to play with, but they are probably not of interest! 

Regards,

Lloyd

On the contrary, that's why we have the 'Other hobbies' section in the private members area. Feel free to use that if you wish to discuss your clock interests.  ? 

Posted : 30/03/2018 12:37 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

"Time flies when you have fun" so it will be an interesting read. ? 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 30/03/2018 12:47 pm
Share: