Workshop Ayr Teletext Decoder Box

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
mfd70
(@mfd70)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

I've recently picked up an Ayr Teletext receiver, I've not included a photo as it i not much to look at. It looks in good condition and powered up OK. I can get an E-E picture by tuning in the No 1 position, so the tuner/modulator and IF (SAWF) seem to be OK, I don't have a remote so it looks like it powers up on position 1, E-E. Two questions, does anyone know if modern universal remotes support the SAA5010 IR commands and also does anyone have a circuit diagram ? The circuit is not essential as I can probably guess since it is the Mullard SAA500n teletext decoder chipset and a TEA1002 PAL encoder. Though I'd like a remote to see it work, I've got plenty of sources of teletext and most broadcasters in the UK (even Channel 4 when it works....) still support 888 subtitles on their SD services.

Posted : 05/11/2021 10:05 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I've one of these, a GEC/AYR badged version (mine in the photo below) stored away, it's a slimmer version (later) to the one shown in the advert below. It does not have its original remote, either. I've not had a chance to test it yet, but I'm lead to believe, it responds to the TX9/10 remotes with the SAA5000 chip in, I guess yours should too.

I've a soft spot for these old vintage teletext set-top boxes, I've a Radofin TAD 110 (wired remote), Labgear 7026 (wired remote). The LabGear model was featured on Pebble Mill, you can see the video on YouTube, finally the GEC/AYR (infra remote).

ayrtxt
ayr

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 05/11/2021 10:39 pm
mfd70
(@mfd70)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

My unit is identical to the one in the photo. I think I've still got a few Philex TX100 remote controls here which would also work with the TX10 teletext models, I'll try one of those if I find it. Here is a picture of the inside, business end, the RF mod and PSU are out of frame on the right.

AYR

Posted : 05/11/2021 11:38 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Any remote that uses the SAA5000 should work with it, so Philips G11 and Ferguson TX10 come to mind here. 

Posted : 06/11/2021 10:39 am
Share: