4 Posts
3 Users
15 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

.... And there certainly isn't any rain getting in 😉 

Visiting Malc yesterday, I came away with a little Ferguson TV stand that he was disposing of. The stand was OK except the top cross members were missing along with the screws. I gladly accepted the stand, as I'm in dire need of stands for a number of sets.

I already had an idea how I might tackle this as I had some 30mm x 30mm x 1.5mm right-angle aluminium bar in stock. Furthermore, I knew 1.5mm would not be man enough on its own, so planned to double up, giving me 3mm. Likewise, I also had in stock the correct thread screws. I cut four identical lengths to form the cross members. Made a template for the holes, strapped the two sections with masking tape, transferred the hole map to the bars, centre punched and drilled them out.

Turned out quite well and is very strong. All I need to do is counter sink the top and grind the heads. Tried it with the little PYE CT200, looks good.

stand1
stand2
stand3
stand4
stand5
stand6
stand7

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 04/09/2021 4:58 pm
Till Eulenspiegel, malcscott, Nuvistor and 12 people reacted
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

Stand designed for 20 inch Ferguson 1615 chassis.

Posted : 05/09/2021 2:20 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Indeed, it is, I had one of the 24" 3852 1615 sets (see here), I moved it on to Mikey, who passed it on again to Phil.

Forum 142

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 05/09/2021 3:06 pm
Sundog
(@sundog)
Reputable Member Registered

Good job! I imagine nowadays those stands would be assessed as having the danger of tipping and crushing a child, though fortunately I don't remember hearing of such a case.

However I do remember another serious problem with stands like these that used threaded inserts the cabinet. If the assembler used the wrong length screw, it could contact the chassis and the stand could become live.

Moral of the story: Don't leave small children alone in your showroom 😉 

Posted : 21/12/2021 7:46 pm
Share: