HDPE Welding

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

At Work, I mend PE Pie welding equipment for the Pipeline industry, these things are capable of welding 50-60A continuous for 1/4hr or more from 110V or 240V supplies (the fusion time is precise).. and we set them up at up to 100A as above during Calibration.. so they're full of huge components, Triacs, Thyristor packs and big fat wires as you might expect..

Forum 142

But since I started again on Monday, nearly every unit I chucked on the bench has had this resistor faulty giving a resistance measurement error (different types, different models, different customers) yet in the last 3 years since I returned to the fold, I might have replaced 3 maybe 4..

Forum 143

Yes there is a component there..

Not only that, but some of them.. after definitely repairing that fault, still had another fault giving exactly the same error.. (One I had to put to one side for more time..) my head started to hurt this afternoon..

Why do things choose to die like lemmings all in one go??

Posted : 19/12/2013 11:07 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

yes I know.. they will be in a minute..

Posted : 19/12/2013 11:20 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

The things I have seen are plastic gas pipes. They appear to have a wire coil in each connector that the workers plug into a generator for a set time in order to seal them.
I can't see the photos you have posted for some reason.
I will check again to make sure it is not me though.

Posted : 19/12/2013 11:35 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace

The links don't work for me either!

Forum Memorial

Posted : 19/12/2013 11:40 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Fine here ! :aad

Marc.

EDIT....what happened, no the pics are huge !

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 19/12/2013 11:48 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Yes, I had to go dogging before I could put the pics up.. 10:00pm the dog's wrist watches are never wrong..

Haha PIE welding!! I can't edit it now.. :aaj

Posted : 19/12/2013 11:52 pm
Herald1360
(@herald1360)
Reputable Member Registered

Is the dead one the vertical one in the middle (looks like R46 or R16)? Wouldn't take a lot to fry it- looks like an 0805 or smaller.

The board looks like something died under the bottom right mounting hole too, or is that just mucky dust?

Isn't PIE welding just a standard northern technique for attaching the crusts onto steak pies?

.........._______
.....___/|__|__|____
.=.( _---__|___|_---_)
.........O...Chris....O

Posted : 20/12/2013 1:33 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Yep that's the dead one, in most cases there are no outwards signs of it's demise.. and just mucky dust, the pillars were loose and have rubbed the holes to dust.

Oddly enough we have our Russian people here today and the engineer just came and asked me .......

About resistance Errors!! (on a different unit again) :bbd

Having had just a few of these in the previous years, why has it suddenly become enemy No1? :aai

Posted : 20/12/2013 11:42 am
Share: