6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

Hello there everyone.

I really need some help. I have this that I got with no monitor and I have got a replacement and I need some assistance as it's a bit beyond me.

I guess what I really want to do is take it to someone else's workshop and watch how they do it so I can do it myself one day.

I am in Barnet, Herts EN5.

Posted : 03/12/2018 5:46 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

Correction, it's a TRS-80 model4 (No big difference, but just in case...)

Posted : 03/12/2018 6:33 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I didn’t watch all of that video, if you decide to do it yourself don’t handle the CRT in the way done in that video.

Carrying a CRT by its neck risks it breaking off, apart from destroying the tube you risk injury.

The neck is the most fragile part of the glass, they should also be placed face down on soft clean material that will not scratch the faceplate not rested  on the base and neck.

Sorry I can’t help with the replacement.

Frank

Posted : 03/12/2018 8:30 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

What exactly do you want to do? Your original statement ' I've got this with no monitor and I've got a replacement.....' doesn't really make sense since the TRS 80 already has a built-in monitor...the 'monitor' is the video unit that displays the picture. The picture itself is displayed on a CRT. Are you saying that you want to fit a new CRT? If so I would strongly suggest you leave this to someone who knows what they are doing. It isn't a difficult job BUT you need to take care when handling the CRT....even small ones like this can be dangerous if there is an accident.  Experienced engineers will probably get away with handling it as in the video although it's still not recommended. There will also be some adjustments to make afterwards so you need to know what to adjust.

Posted : 03/12/2018 7:58 pm
MongooseDC
(@mongoosedc)
Trusted Member Registered

The key mistake the video makes is not placing the screen on its face when undoing/attaching the CRT nuts and bolts. If you watch most other repair folk like Shango066 they will always remove the CRT face down. The main reason for discharging the tube is also to prevent unvoluntary reaction from electric discharge causing you to throw the tube and maybe smash it! The neck glass by necesity has to be thin to allow close coupling of the scan coils to the electron beam inside. The bulb is very strong, providing the rimband hasn't been removed! Buyer beware of accepting a CRT without one!

Posted : 11/12/2018 4:48 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

I can change a tube but from the first few minutes of the video the one in the computer looks all right.

I have been looking for a home for a box of TRS80 software and manuals for some time so you would get that FOC if you come an hour or so on the motorway.

Posted : 12/12/2018 3:08 am
Share: