Huntron Tracker 2000 - Dumpster Find

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

Found this interesting piece of test gear amongst other things in an electrical waste skip! These days anything with a CRT is considered obsolete but, never having seen or used one thought it was worth a second chance before being recycled in a crusher. Found the user/maintenance manual at Huntron 2000 to find out what this could do. Last calibration was in 2005 but even if beyond repair the CRT would be useful, so here are the initial results before opening up...

I particularly wanted to see how an EHT transformer over-wind could be usefully tested. First three pictures, normal, 1 turn short and 10 turn short, show a home made EHT transformer with 1,900 turns on the secondary on a standard Mullard FX series core. Winding is straight, not wave wound. Test frequency 2kHz, Range Med 2.

There is more to investigate, but this instrument is obviously designed for circuit signature analysis rather than accurate curve plotting. Looks also to be useful in determining if LOPT has shorted turns. According to the parts list the CRT is manufactured by Toshiba and is a normal electrostatic type running at approximately 1,300V. First time from switch on the display took at least 1 minute to appear but now more like 20 seconds. Nice sharp focus too.

Cheers
Rich

Posted : 05/05/2013 10:58 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

My Hameg scope's component tester gives curves like those. But that box is cute.

Posted : 05/05/2013 11:43 pm
wd40addict
(@wd40addict)
Trusted Member Registered

I used one of these in my first job. Actually quite useful for fault finding especially if you have a second working item to compare with (hence all the channel A&B stuff). We also had the optional external switch box which allowed you to step through pins on ICs.

In essence it is a super dooper version of the Hameg.

Regards,

Paul

Posted : 06/05/2013 9:57 pm
turretslug
(@turretslug)
Honorable Member Registered

A good find. :D I also used one of these in a previous existence, once you were familiar with what "good" and "bad" test patterns looked like, it was an excellent rapid fault weeder. As mentioned, a particularly good comparison device and would quickly identify marginal devices such as SMPSU rectifiers and power transistors that might otherwise defy simple testing.

Don't chuck it away or break it up- you'll rue that day!,

Colin.

Posted : 11/05/2013 11:25 am
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Topic starter

Thanks for all comments on how this unit is used, much appreciated. The optional external switch box which allows stepping through pins on IC's sounds useful but as it stands being able to A-B switch to compare components will reduce 'cut-and-try' diagnosis.

Removed top cover to reveal a tidy layout with components clearly identifiable that do not need a magnifying glass to find them!

Tested some unknown second hand 1970'ssemiconductors used in Thorn 3xxx, 8xxx chassis using the built in pulse generator. Specimens used were BRC4443 thyristor, Texas Instruments E1222 and a Motorola 1N5254 27V Zener. The first picture shows the thyristor being triggered into on state (vertical trace) with a low leakage reverse (horizontal trace). Next testing NPN type transistor adjusting base level alters conduction point. Finally, the last two traces show the difference between a good and bad zener diode.

Don't chuck it away or break it up- you'll rue that day!,
Colin.

Having saved it from the skip, this unit will find a place in the workshop as it can reveal subtle differences between devices and will also help in deciding if an equivalent works in the same way. :thumbr:

I still rue the day when I was about 10 that I was talked into (told to) scrapping a 1938 KB750 that did not work :'( :'( . To this day have been searching for another but these seem to be rather scarce. The original belonged to my grandfather who was clerk of works laying undersea telephone cables for STC in the 1930's.

Cheers
Rich

Posted : 12/05/2013 8:46 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

STC & KB & International Marine Radio all probably ITT then too :)

I don't like to think about the TVs I sold and Radios I dismembered in 1960s & 1970s. The Electronics & 2 x rack mount 4 x EL34 Amps I had to leave in 1982, nor the Electronics I had to dispose of inc EIAJ portable & Camera, Reel to Reel Tape recorder, 23" B&W TV, Big speakers, Goldring/Lenco turntable and much more in 1989 & 1990 due to going abroad and coming back. :(

Posted : 12/05/2013 8:54 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Sort of related, I came across this device which when connected to an oscilloscope, produces pretty much what you Huntron does.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transistor-Di ... 232ae0af4d

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 17/05/2013 6:16 pm
valvekits
(@valvekits)
Honorable Member Registered

Nice find Rich and the fact that it works is a bonus.
Two popular testers in the 90's were Huntron and Polar. Both very similar in operation although I believe the Huntron was somewhat cheaper in price.
I managed to use a customers' Huntron to diagnose a faulty board but it took a while because it kept flagging up faulty ICs that weren't faulty. The problem being that the signature from the same IC from one manufacturer would be different to the signature of another manufacturer.
The Polar tester (actually there were a couple of models I recall) was a very nice board tester and with the supplied software you could map a good working board and store the data. Then if you had a faulty board you could work your way around the board until you found the fault. This tester was a bit pricey but it meant that you could reduce your spare parts inventory and in the right hands could soon pay for itself.
With the evolution and shrinking of semiconductors I think that this type of tester is probably no longer viable as boards are less repairable and similar vectorless testing techniques are more likely found in the manufacturers domain.

Eddie

Posted : 18/05/2013 8:57 pm
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Topic starter

I don't like to think about the TVs I sold and Radios I dismembered in 1960s & 1970s.

In the 1980's most valve equipment was worthless, couldn't give it away so most got cannibalised for spares. One of my work colleagues was going to dump a Leak TL/10 and point one pre-amp. Another one saved but it had a few parts missing although transformers and valves were intact.

Sort of related, I came across this device which when connected to an oscilloscope, produces pretty much what you Huntron does.

Thanks for link. Looking at the Huntron schematic, over 70% of the electronics is aimed at operating CRT etc leaving essential circuitry down to a switched AC voltage source and series resistance, with a few op-amps to extract the voltage and current into X,Y co-ordinates. Should be possible to build a similar low cost circuit to operate with a 'scope as the ebay box does.

Nice find Rich and the fact that it works is a bonus.

When I first saw it buried in the WEE skip detritus I did not hold out much hope of survival having been dropped six feet. However, damage appears to be limited to graunches on plastic CRT graticule and may polish out. At the same time had a good rummage to see what else might be of interest and found a number of used Sifam moving coil meters in various states without original scales also a new Philips 33,000uF 40V capacitor.

Cheers
Rich

Posted : 19/05/2013 10:41 pm
Share: