PCB Repair Work

11 Posts
6 Users
24 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Folk with similar requirements might find this useful.

For those of us with ageing eyes like myself, I can no longer work with just my unaided eyes. Even with glasses I find I'm frequently not able to spot dry joints, cracked traces etc. As such in recent years I've relied mostly on mag lamps, these are great but only provide a certain degree of magnification, I wanted and needed more.

As I do a lot of PCB refurbishment, a long while ago invested in a vintage PCB microscope. This proved to be an absolute boon and made life much easier. I was able to spot in an instant dry joints and the aforementioned elusive (to me) o/c traces. The main drawback though not essential, was taking photos for the forum to illustrate work in threads. Trying to take a photo down the lens of the scope a tricky and feverish balance.

Last week I upgraded my setup. I bought a new standard PCB microscope for the main bench but for the PCB repair station I invested in a different type. This one comes with a 7" monitor, It's 1080FHD, can take photos and videos with 128GB microSD. Finally, 1 to 1200 times magnification, more than I need as I don't do any smd work but the option for high magnification is there if needed.

New Standard Bench Scope

bscop6
bscop7

New PCB Repair Station Scope

bscop1
bscop2
bscop3
bscop4
bscop5
bscop9
bscop8

The LCD screen makes life so much easier than peering down the eyepieces of normal scopes. The HDR feature allows for automatic video recording when an object is moved under the lens. No manual operation required if desired, it can be manually actioned. It has 2,5 and 10-second delay for photos or it can do continuous with 3 consecutive shots. Photos can be anywhere from 1.3M to 12Mpixels.

OK so its not in keeping with the look-N-feel of a vintage workshop and sticks out like a sore thumb, but needs must.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 16/03/2020 11:06 am
Alex728, ntscuser, Red_to_Black and 9 people reacted
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

I have both one of the camera 'scopes with monitor, and a conventional Leica microscope. I'm usually working on 0402 SMD stuff, and, as you state, my eyesight isn't what it once was.

The issue I have with the camera/monitor type is it's lack of three dimensions. When I bought it, I thought it would be an improvement, but now it's rarely used. It is, however, ideal for insurance claims etc, when the insurer wishes to have photos of the damage, for example, resulting from moisture ingress.

Posted : 16/03/2020 1:58 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@doz

Yep - I can sympathise, we're both familiar with a particular radio mic transmitter to name but one! ? 

Posted : 16/03/2020 4:41 pm
Doz, Doz and Doz reacted
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Reputable Member Registered

Posted by: @crustytv

OK so its not in keeping with the look-N-feel of a vintage workshop and sticks out like a sore thumb, but needs must.

I have been looking for a suitable USB microscope since January so it is very interesting to see a modern digital microscope in action.  Looks ideal for PCB work but is the x1200 magnification just optical or a combination of optics and signal processing?

It is a nice addition and back in the day even vintage workshops over time evolved with new technological advances.

In the day job I used a Mantis magnifier/viewer to see those specs of dust called 0402 and soldering down a 5mm sq. accelerometer package isn't much fun either.

Rich

Posted : 16/03/2020 6:49 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

New use, great for checking video heads.

tst1

Posted : 02/04/2020 1:07 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

That's brilliant, Chris! ? 

Posted : 02/04/2020 1:30 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

You could try offering a PCB repair service.......

Posted : 02/04/2020 5:45 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Looks a darned sight easier than my SLR lens "in reverse" - That's how I first ever examined VCR heads! But, when such items didn't exist, we managed with what we had on hand, and, I still use the lens (stack) from my redundant Nikon when needed. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Posted : 03/04/2020 7:35 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Made some minor changes to the PCB repair bench, I've now set up a little "Vrat studio" for Youtube repair vids.

I've added a monitor, should have done this ages ago, it now makes life easier for me to see what's being captured and that everything is on screen. Before I had to rely on me remembering where the "In-Frame" limits were so the device remained in picture whilst I remained out, far from ideal.

Also, placing the camera tripod in the corner with the camera looking down rather than behind me, gives good overhead filming. It also frees up workshop floor space and stops me falling over it and the trailing wires. When I use the scope, rather than unhitching the main camera and going all "wobbly-cam", I'll use my Samsung phone on a tiny desk tripod, the HD camera on that is excellent. I will just have to knit it all in at end, during the final editing.

I'm hoping at some point to figure out how I get the PCB microscope camera to insert into the same feed for when close up work is undertaken. The example here shows the dynamic trip Thermistor X601 which is o/c. I will be nice to live switch that feed into the stream, no idea how to do that yet.

I've Just uploaded a new Youtube video using this set up, part 2 of the 3000 SMPS. Bear with me, I'm still finding it unnatural talking to a camera as I know many of you do also. Hopefully I can only get better as time passes and confidence grows, I envy those who find it so easy, who appear and sound natural, like Doz for example, wish I could be like William Woollard.

Here's some pics.

pcbrepstation1
pcbrepstation2

Posted : 30/04/2020 8:10 pm
Doz, Red_to_Black, Doz and 3 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Just upgraded the new scope from the fixed base to an articulating arm, so much better.

articarm

Posted : 07/05/2020 1:46 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Well you've heard of 'Two Jags Prescott', meet "Four Three Bench Crusty". One might ask why the need for three. No need really.

The First, this is in the store room before you enter the main workshop. It's where items come in dirty, get evaluated and partially cleaned before moving into the main shop.

bench1

The second, this is the PCB repair station It has isolation and it's where I have recently shot the Vrat-Tube videos.

bench2

The Third, this is the main work bench where larger items like TV's are worked upon. It's also equipped with and ISO/TX, signal generators, IF alignment and pattern gens.

bench3

The fourth, this bench used to be my library prep and scanning station. This was given over to my other much older and long neglected interest. Though if I'm being honest it gets little use these days as the pull of Vintage electronics repairs, is strong.

bench4

Posted : 07/05/2020 2:19 pm
Share: