Notifications
Clear all

Mullard yellow print on valves.

Page 1 / 3

PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

I often wondered why some Mullard valves had yellow print on them instead of the usual white lettering. A quick google-search reveals that it was used to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Mullard in 1970. Production apparently started in 1969 using yellow paint.

But, for instance, I have at least three TV sets made before then with a full set of original valves and they have yellow print. Decca DR303, Murphy and Bush TV125 all from at least 1964-5.

Anyway, the third paragraph is of interest here below....

https://www.effectrode.com/news/vintage-mullard-yellow-print-tubes-white-print-tubes/

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/09/2018 9:08 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

I used the yellow printed valves at that time, I didn’t know until much later, last 10 years, it was to celebrate the Jubilee. I never saw adverts about it at that time, on the other hand I was just interested in fixing the sets so adverts could have passed me by.

I was not long married, mortgage etc so nuances like that would have pass me by.

Edit. The only anniversary that I had to remember was my wedding. ? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2018 9:33 am
PYE625 liked
PYE625
(@pye625)

Quite true Frank... Golden Jubilee's and coloured lettering are hardly a thing one takes much notice of at the time.  But Mullard must surely have been using the yellow long before 1969.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/09/2018 9:41 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

Quite possibly, it was just not something I took notice of, more importantly was it a PCL82 or PCL85.

Like most service dept, we were busy with repairs and installs, there were only two of us on service, then just me when the other man moved over to sales around 69/70.

When I went on holiday, we had two weeks annual leave but I could only take them on seperate occasions. I made ready a number of loan sets, on my return the other man would have fixed the straight forward ones and left the others in the workshop waiting for me.

Dont get me wrong, he was good, much clever than me, he ended up teaching at a FE college for 30 years. Sadly now deceased, nice chap.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2018 9:56 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

I have a 1963 Cossor radiogram which still has a full line up of Mullard valves with the yellow print. Never had any changed since purchased, Malc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2018 9:57 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

When I read about the Jubilee story I couldn’t comment one way it the other, I just don’t know. It could well be correct and earlier valves with yellow printing could just be that yellow was all that was available or perhaps cheaper to use.

I have looked at quite a few adverts from 1969 from a Mullard and found nothing, perhaps didn’t look hard enough or at the correct adverts.

One thing for sure, white or yellow, if it’s labelled Mullard the quality would be the same, valves with different characteristics I.e. longer life, rugged etc were given a different number or suffix. This is for valves produced in Philips /Mullard factories, by the late 70’s when they sourced from were they could I don’t think the same applies.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2018 10:20 am
occiput
(@occiput)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

The last time I suggested on here that someone's website contained less than the literal truth, I was in receipt of a slap over the wrist.

I will therefore do no more than to suggest that it might be wise to seek independent verification before relying on some of the claims made on the one mentioned above.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2018 3:31 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

@occiput's post liked not because he was admonished but because of his insistence on intellectual rigour rather than blind quoting. After all, even now people foolishly believe that the German "People's Sets" were deliberately insensitive - something diligent investigation will debunk completely. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2018 3:43 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

I think independent verification of this subject will be difficult to obtain, for myself I don’t know what is correct, I didn’t know about it then either.

There is a reply on that link that suggests the yellow print was for manufacturing and white for retail, I do remember brand new sets with yellow print but I saw white print as well on new sets.

I think unless there is verification it’s just guess work.

I can just imagine someone chuckling to themselves knowing the correct answer was they used whatever colour was in the tin.

Oh another mystery not solved.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2018 4:31 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Which once again proves that anecdote does not equal data. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2018 7:05 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Well I worked at Philips for over 30 years and I was told the same story about yellow print. Apparently it wasn't cost-effective to use gold paint so the particular shade of yellow was chosen as 'best compromise'. One thing that can be certain, there is no difference in performance between yellow print or white print valves despite the popular beliefs and comments on certain websites.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2018 7:06 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

All I know about 'yellow print' valves is that they make silly money when sold via the net, and coupled with 'Blackburn codes' you need a mortgage to buy!

I have no idea how many yellow Vs white print valves would have passed through granddad's hands over the years, but they were never given any special reverence. What I do seem to recall though, is that white print rubs off too easily, yellow print seems considerably more resilient. Oh, and as I remember it, my mums Bush SRP31D (record player), bought brand new around 1962/63 had yellow print Mullards from factory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2018 7:22 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Posted by: Katie Bush

All I know about 'yellow print' valves is that they make silly money when sold via the net, and coupled with 'Blackburn codes' you need a mortgage to buy!

Just looked at the prices being asked for ECC83 valves, white or yellow, a very wide range, second hand £199 down to a few pounds for a tested used one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2018 8:19 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Ah, well.......

ECC83 will always set you back plenty. It's the ultimate redoubt of the audiophool regardless of make or markings.

It also makes a pretty good frame oscillator! ? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/09/2018 9:50 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

...and don't forget the 'round getter or square getter' variants....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2018 8:54 am
PYE625
(@pye625)

I remember looking for PCC88 when I was working on my Baird and being rather aghast at their silly prices. In the end, I think I found a pair of Thorn branded valves at about a tenner. I have to admit that the shape of the getter and the colour of the print couldn't have been further from my mind. Shame on me !  ? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 23/09/2018 9:40 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator
Posted by: PYE625

I have to admit that the shape of the getter and the colour of the print couldn't have been further from my mind. Shame on me !  ? 

Shame on you indeed! The picture geometry is near perfect with the square getter version! ? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2018 10:31 am
PYE625 liked
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

Luckily the valves used in my radios are series heater U series so are cheap, well they were when I bought a few spares. I have two spares of each type so won’t be buying any more, they are safely packed away in a small box. Some are s/h, most NOS, all good when put away.

The prose ( is that the correct term) used to describe a valve is interesting, I found this describing an ECC83, “ It produces a rich warm sound that is both thick and fat’ to me that could mean anything.

I suppose trying to describe music is difficult, much better to listen to it. Though  it’s given music and HiFi reviewers a living for many years.

At the end of the day it’s supply and demand, if enough people are prepared to pay high prices for what they deem to be an advantage, it’s their business.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2018 10:44 am
Terry
(@terrykc)
Famed V-Ratter Rest in Peace

There is a reply on that site which, correctly, refutes that story and anyone with yellow printed valves can carry out the same test. See  https://frank.pocnet.net/other/Philips/PhilipsCodeListAB.pdf   for the codes. You can ignore references to old codes for this.

It is a weird site - it insisted on capitalising every word I wrote and then refused to accept it because I hadn't provided the name of my country, but there was no such field to enter the data! This is what I wrote (decapitalised!):

"I'm not sure About the 1950s as I was only in the trade from 1960 - 1969 and those yellow printed valves were about for quite a long time. As those date codes don't lie, Dave has got the evidence needed to prove that this story is a load of codswallop."

I would further ad to that comment that in 1970 we were putting a lot of current production sets into (non-domestic) service and their valves were printed in white!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2018 4:19 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator
Posted by: Terry

There is a reply on that site which, correctly, refutes that story and anyone with yellow printed valves can carry out the same test. See  https://frank.pocnet.net/other/Philips/PhilipsCodeListAB.pdf   for the codes. You can ignore references to old codes for this.

? ?  ?  I think I'll take up train-spotting! ?  ? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2018 10:11 pm
Page 1 / 3