Mystery transformer

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

On the odd occasion when I get into work in the morning a nice well-meaning person has had a clear out of their garage or shed and left the (junk) items on my desk. This time the box contained a few transformers, a 185BTA with a couple of 6SN7/6SL7 valves and some very dried up electrolytic capacitors.

A few pictures of the transformer in question...

Looks as though some components had been resting on the paxolin and each tag is numbered. Other than that no identification marks. Several tags appear to be connected to the same winding.

Any ideas?
Cheers Rich

Posted : 22/08/2014 5:02 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

The first thing to do is to buss it all through with a meter and draw out a diagram of the connections and resistances.

Posted : 22/08/2014 5:20 pm
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Topic starter

Hi Ref,

A quick check shows it has one centre tapped winding (pins 1, 2 and 3) with two single windings (pins 4 and 10, 6 and 9) as shown.

The centre tapped winding measures approx. 680 ohms each half, while the other two are less than 0.5 ohms. Beginning to think this may be an audio output transformer. Pin 4 is connected to the frame which is presumably 'earth'.

Rich

Posted : 22/08/2014 6:22 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

That must be a push pull audio output transformer with an isolated feedback winding.

Posted : 22/08/2014 6:38 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

It's black and has a 'Philipsy' look about it (mounting style). I'm thinking audio output with a feedback winding. The model escapes me at the moment...

Posted : 22/08/2014 8:44 pm
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Topic starter

After trawling through many, many schematics I think the transformer mystery is solved. This transformer bears a remarkable resemblance to the field output used in a 1952 Cossor 92x TV. A picture can be seen on this thread here.

Schematic for the field output stage confirms connection details previously determined.

Quite unusual in design, pity I have not got the other parts. A field transformer and a 185BTA does not a set make.
Anyway, mystery solved?

Cheers
Rich

Posted : 28/11/2014 9:25 pm
Share: