7 Users
0 Reactions
unrealdave
(@unrealdave)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

new toy 1

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

I bought it because it looked funky but I have no idea what its used for.

I know it’s for resistance but how and what for I don’t know.

Thanks for any pointers

Maturity is overrated.

Posted : 01/02/2013 5:54 pm
unrealdave
(@unrealdave)
Topic starter

New toy 2

This is good fun - its a voltage regulater by Claude Lyons. Works great. Its just a big variac with an arm that adjusts the voltage in under half a second to regulate any variance on the mains.

It weighs a ton! (Well about 28 kilos :D ) so I am doing a bit of weight training at the mo

Maturity is overrated.

Posted : 01/02/2013 6:00 pm
unrealdave
(@unrealdave)
Topic starter

New toy 3

This is great as a variable resistor - its ex gpo and is really accurate.

Maturity is overrated.

Posted : 01/02/2013 6:02 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I have a Claude Lyon Stabilised power suppy too. I use it to give me Mullard HSVT rock steady mains. Great piece of equipment and as you point out really heavy.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 01/02/2013 6:13 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Is the variac motor driven Dave.
Mike

Posted : 01/02/2013 6:22 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

They are indeed motor driven, you set the desired voltage and the box maintains it.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 01/02/2013 6:25 pm
unrealdave
(@unrealdave)
Topic starter

Is the variac motor driven Dave.
Mike

As stated in the last post - it is; and it responds quick as well!

Maturity is overrated.

Posted : 01/02/2013 6:28 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Honorable Member Registered

Toy 1 looks like it's a load box for 400 volt or 230 volt three phase or 230 volt single phase.

Peter

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 01/02/2013 11:14 pm
unrealdave
(@unrealdave)
Topic starter

Toy 1 looks like it's a load box for 400 volt or 230 volt three phase or 230 volt single phase.

Peter

Thanks but i don't know what that means B|

Maturity is overrated.

Posted : 02/02/2013 12:09 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Peter

My thoughts were likewise, thinking in terms of a load bank for testing small(ish) generators... I'm just not sure I was thinking on the right lines.

Marion

Posted : 02/02/2013 12:22 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Looking at those resistors they can only be rated at a couple of hundred watts each. Even that maybe a generous estimate as there is no forced air cooling or heat sinking.

Al

Posted : 02/02/2013 12:35 am
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

I have got some of those resistors and they are shorter than those in your photo.
The ones behind the hexagonal one that is in use testing a PSU that had just been un-broken by me are about 100mm long and 30mm diameter including the wind.
The center tapped one to the left is about 50mm long and 30mm diameter.
Sadly there is just a few letters and numbers printed on them at one end and the value at the other end.

Posted : 02/02/2013 1:38 am
Valvebloke
(@valvebloke)

Peter

A load box is a box containing several resistors which might be switched in different combinations to give different overall resistance between the terminals. If you connect, say, a generator or an amplifier to this box you can vary the resistance, thereby varying the load on the genny/amp. That allows you to check whether it's working as specified. Since the resistors will have to absorb up to the full output power of the DUT (Device-Under-Test) they had better be pretty meaty.

VB

AmpRegen http://www.ampregen.com

Posted : 02/02/2013 9:15 am
unrealdave
(@unrealdave)
Topic starter

Peter

A load box is a box containing several resistors which might be switched in different combinations to give different overall resistance between the terminals. If you connect, say, a generator or an amplifier to this box you can vary the resistance, thereby varying the load on the genny/amp. That allows you to check whether it's working as specified. Since the resistors will have to absorb up to the full output power of the DUT (Device-Under-Test) they had better be pretty meaty.

VB

Thanks for that :)

I can't see any way of setting different combinations though - just some pretty thick jumpers that can be set to 230 volts mono or tri - or 400 tri. The switchs on the front are marked up (from top left) 5% 10% (and bottom left) 10% 25% and 50%

Thanks againvb
I think toy 3 is a load box then?

Maturity is overrated.

Posted : 02/02/2013 9:50 am
Valvebloke
(@valvebloke)

I think toy 3 is a load box then?

Probably not. Chunky though it is, I suspect it isn't designed to absorb a great deal of power. As you first guessed, it's probably just meant to give you an exact resistance of whatever value you want.

VB

Posted : 02/02/2013 10:03 am
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

I have zoomed the photo of number one up and am getting the feeling that it could be a charge currant adjuster for an emergency lighting system.
The resistor in the foreground in my last post that I was using to test the Bench PSU came from the remains of just such an item.

Posted : 02/02/2013 10:39 am
Valvebloke
(@valvebloke)

My schoolboy French, with a bit of help from the interweb, suggests that the label on the top right of the front panel says something like 'Resistive load management - 500W' and the red label on the top of the case says 'The power supply must include an isolation and protection device suitable for the maximum power of the load bank'. I'm not sure whether power is the best translation of intensité there, but it should be pretty close. I got the phrase 'load bank' from various French power equipment manufacturers' websites. They translate 'banc de charge' into 'load bank' when you flip between their French language and English language web pages.

VB

Posted : 02/02/2013 11:35 am
peterscott
(@peterscott)

Peter

My thoughts were likewise, thinking in terms of a load bank for testing small(ish) generators... I'm just not sure I was thinking on the right lines.

Marion

As Marion suggests it would be used to test power supplies or possibly an alternator. I would assume the rotary controls are marked as a percentage of 500 watts. It might be associated with power systems on board an aircraft. You could try measuring the resistance across the red "mono" terminals and see if the value corresponds with the wattage selected. You will need to reconfigure the links to correspond with the setting in the top right of the diagram.

Peter

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 02/02/2013 1:42 pm
unrealdave
(@unrealdave)
Topic starter

As Marion suggests it would be used to test power supplies or possibly an alternator. I would assume the rotary controls are marked as a percentage of 500 watts. It might be associated with power systems on board an aircraft. You could try measuring the resistance across the red "mono" terminals and see if the value corresponds with the wattage selected. You will need to reconfigure the links to correspond with the setting in the top right of the diagram.

Peter

I've reconfigured it to mono - with all switchs up there is no circuit, from top left clockwise it reads 5% and gives 1.98k ohms, 10% .99 k, 10% .98k, 25% .4k, 50% .2k

If all are on except the 50% (so all totalling 50%) I get .2k

Its the same if I turn the switch left or right.

I'm not sure how to get a % of 500 watts though.

Its a solid piece though and interesting - well worth £2?

Cheers for your input.

Maturity is overrated.

Posted : 10/02/2013 11:35 am
peterscott
(@peterscott)

Hi Dave,

Well your resistance measurements make sense.

Your 50% is 200 ohms. If you apply 230 volts to that you dissipate 264 watts.

Power (watts) = Volts squared/Resistance.

Peter

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 10/02/2013 12:08 pm
Share: