Notifications
Clear all

Show us 'yer' plugs! Ooh-err Missus

Page 2 / 3

crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @jayceebee

I remember the Ediswan 2 pin round plugs being highly sought after early in my apprenticeship at an RBM [..] I’m not sure but they may also have been branded Clix?

Hi John,

The 4th attached photo in my very first post of this thread, shows two exactly as you describe. Here it is again highlighted. ? 

edi
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/04/2020 5:24 pm
gilmour94 liked
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Found a green one in a box today, If I recall correctly this was originally on my Hunts CRB-3 bridge.

green
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/04/2020 5:44 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Don't forget these: I must fit one to the Belling "Champion" downstairs. This example also has the rotating flag under the cover fixing screw to indicate the size of fuse within (3, 7 or 13A).

Switched MK
ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2020 5:58 pm
gilmour94 liked
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @jayceebee

If the plug was non-standard such as a Wylex it was removed and the bare wires were inserted into the slots in the pins then pushed into a socket

With those plugs you needed no tools in those circumstances - the pins were just brass split pins so for a few seconds' more effort, the job could have been done safely.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2020 6:01 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Almost forgot this, in our rear lounge at the side of the fireplace, there are two original fittings left. Also in the cupboard under the stairs an original  brown, 2-pin, round Bakelite socket.

roundpin
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/04/2020 6:08 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

Now, what did the switch with a neon upon control?

I always thought it'd be a nice touch - if I ever get the T21 restored - to have a single vintage 5A socket in the lounge to power it, fed from a fused spur.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2020 6:14 pm
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I've got nothing of huge interest in an accessible place at present. Not so long ago I discarded every "not to current standard" 13A plug I had. The most interesting I just might have, and if I do it's on an extension lead in the loft, is an IDC Products Ltd "Simplicity Plug" - Maplin used to sell them but I know I bought two at George Blagg in Hednesford. What happened to the other one, I have no idea, but I will try to retrieve the one I do have in order to photograph it soon. It is notable for having only one screw, a hinged lid and "lay in" wire guides in green, blue and brown, with protrusions inside the lid to press the wires down, a plastic spring flex grip and an externally accessed hinged fuse holder.

I've had a few leads with IEC C13 or even C5 connectors, with "not to standard" moulded 13A plugs on - non-standardness including no power pin insulation, insulation on the earth pin, no fuse, fuse fitted but not actually "in circuit", off-standard fuse supplied and insufficient periphery. One truly ghastly example, C5 ended, had insulation on the earth pin, and failed on the neutral side, whereupon I also discovered the wires within to be insulated in black, white and black-and-white striped. It had come from Denmark after I tried to order a type E/F hybrid to C5 lead and they assumed I'd made a mistake. They corrected their mistake but let me keep the "supposed to be" type G one too.

My stash of 13A plugs includes such makes as Volex/Ward & Goldstone, Micromark, Lyvia, Laco, Crabtree and MK, including one branded "Morphy Richards" which came off an old iron. A few plugs in my spares box, and one fitted to one of the appliances in the house (not by me) have the Irish Standards mark on them and are to a recent edition of IS 401 - I consider these perfectly acceptable.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2020 12:28 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Some history about Ward and Goldstone, there was a factory 4 miles from where I live.
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Ward_and_Goldstone

I don’t have any interesting plugs but always have few spares in case I need to replace a faulty one. Faulty usually means I have dropped it, stood on it etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2020 9:03 am
jcdaze liked
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Active V-Ratter Registered

I've have at least one WG plug made after the Volex takeover, the lid has Volex on the cover, but the underside still has the WG logo moulded into it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2020 11:17 am
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)

@richardfrommarple I've got one like that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2020 4:06 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)

@emleymoor

Volex still made their own plugs for long enough to have insulated pins.

I have one on one of my collected TV sets.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2020 11:37 pm
neil1974
(@neil1974)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

The wiring loom in my 71 Hillman avenger was made by ward and goldstone.

Cheers

Neil.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2020 11:43 pm
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Posted by: @richardfrommarple

Volex still made their own plugs for long enough to have insulated pins.

Indeed - hence me still having one - I think it's in my spares box.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/07/2020 10:31 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)

Most of the ones in my collection don't have insulated pins, I swapped some of them for newer plugs with them.

I have a rubber RS plug with insulated pins which came off a green screen monitor a friend let me have in the 1990s.

The other is an MK which used to be on my Dad's old lawn mower and still bares the scars from being dragged over concrete a few times.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/07/2020 10:36 pm
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)

If I still have one without insulated pins it's on David's old hi-fi which is in the loft- it may be an Empire. I know of one other and a few adaptors without them at Karl's, but the other one I got from David, on his Kenwood Chefette, had a pin angle error so I replaced it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 6:32 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

I'm reading this with a smile because I try and remove sleeved-pin plugs and replace them with 'traditional' unsleeved pins wherever I find them! But I'm not in the habit of withdrawing plugs from sockets with power on.

About the only thing I am considering doing is replacing the socket outlets at home with the newer double-pole switched types.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 10:48 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @neil1974

The wiring loom in my 71 Hillman avenger was made by ward and goldstone.

Cheers

Neil.

as was the one in my Hunter - didn't stop me blowing it up on the Shrewsbury by-pass !

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 10:50 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

@cathovisor

Out of interest why change them. The insulated part shouldn’t reach the socket contacts, or do they?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 10:51 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

@nuvistor

It's just a personal choice: and in addition, I'm a little concerned about cheap Chinese-made trailing sockets - I've had one get rather too hot and discoloured for comfort when it's been asked to carry a large load for an extended period, e.g. an electric fire of 2-3kW and I'm not entirely sure that hadn't got anything to do with production tolerances. So at home any such item normally bears the name of well-known British manufacturers despite the cost burden.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 11:04 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

Surprising what is found at the bottom of a cupboard, a MK safety plug with the unique cord grip and a Nettle make with the uninsulated pins.

75A8F7E0 84D0 4A3A 8B41 083D2D77DFC4
ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 1:31 pm
Page 2 / 3