Notifications
Clear all

Show us 'yer' plugs! Ooh-err Missus  

Page 3 / 3

Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

@nuvistor

That's a relatively modern 'Safetyplug', Frank: the originals had white sleeved pins and the terminals were placed differently inside so that the wires could be cut to equal lengths.

I'd also say the construction quality was better too, especially the conductor clamp screws.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 2:42 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@cathovisor

Dont know how long I have had it, I do remember the equal wire length design, I will have the top off and check what’s inside it.

One British made plug, think it was British, was the Every Ready 13 amp plug from the 1970’s. Terrible thing, I had more call outs due to intermittent connection on the pins and socket that I care to think about. We sold them and fitted them to new sales but had to stop, went back to MK and took the cost increase hit. Every Ready always would replace the plug but not service call costs etc. 
I never found out what was wrong with them, they looked ok, it didn’t seem to matter what socket they were plugged into. It didn’t really matter to me what it was, just fixed the fault and after some failures we binned them and the small stock we had.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 3:21 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

@nuvistor

Now isn't that odd? I really used to like those Ever Ready plugs - I have them in 5, 13 and 15A guises in my collection and always bought them because MK were so expensive by comparison!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 4:42 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

@cathovisor

They were ok for a few months and we would get a call, intermittent dead set. Rock the plug gently and the power would go off and on, a new ER plug would be ok, perhaps not fail again or be back in a few months.

Luckily none of the sets blew any parts inside the set which I understand could affect some sets designs.

Long time ago, the ER van came around every week and we would stock up on plugs and batteries. Eventually we even had to give the batteries the push, the batteries were leaking inside the radio but still working, customer noticed with the wet patch on the sideboard and a damaged polished top. Not a single occurrence, we started to sell Panasonic batteries, we never a problem with those.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 5:46 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

I'm left wondering if it was the riveting of the fuse clips to the pin/terminal - assuming it was only 13A plugs you had this problem with. Unusually the fuse went in from the side on those, if you recall.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 6:13 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

@cathovisor

I don’t recall about the fuses to be honest but I did go over the plugs to check for problems when I had the first few but after that I just replaced them. Nothing obvious wrong with them, it’s possible that the returns were properly checked at the factory and changes made but it was too late for us then.

Just one of those anomalies that turn up in life, a pain then but just another memory now that doesn’t really matter anymore except out of interest.

We didn’t  have many sales of other types of ER plugs so no numbers to verify  any data.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 8:19 pm
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

Only real problem I ever had with Ever Ready plugs was the cases eventually breaking. The design was notable for the fuse going in sideways, a feature that carried over into the rubber plug from Marbo - this had the slightly odd design that the branding was a loose piece that the fixing screw went into, the body and lid being sandwiched together by the screw and branding.

"Yes, a bit of wet string may get you a good TV signal here on four channels, but you'll have to dry it out to get Channel 5!"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 10:52 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

I've just retired a WG (Wallace & Gromit, I call it) "2 into 1" 13A adaptor because it's been getting very hot in use, and now gets hot whilst just pugged in and doing nothing! - That's a bit worrying. I'll open it up and take a look inside (an autopsy) because it doesn't make sense to me. The only thing I can think of, is if the Bakelite has somehow become leaky, but as I say, that doesn't really make any sense.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2020 9:31 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

The cause of that heating would be interesting, look forward to your report on it.
A couple of years ago I had the fire brigade come and check my home for fire safety, and they looked particularly for double adapters and said they had given trouble and not to use them. I didn’t has it happens but they didn’t go further into the problems.
They were ok with 4 way etc extension leads as long as they were not overloaded.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2020 10:05 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

I might just try plugging it into a different socket, with nothing else plugged in, to either, the other socket in the gang (of 2), nor into the suspect adaptor. Then, I'll find a small, long, thin, straight blade screwdriver, and dismantle it. One thing I have noticed, is that at some point I seem to have broken out a small piece from beside live pin entry on the upper socket.

The socket where the adaptor was being used is now running cold again - so that's a relief. Also, I note that there is no longer any electrical interference on my analogue TV picture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2020 11:30 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

It’s not got some sort of built in surge protection has it? Or maybe a spider crawled into it and turned itself into a resistor!

Regards 

Lloyd 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2020 3:53 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi Lloyd,

No surge protection, or at least, it doesn't make any claims as such, but I like the idea of the built in 'Surge Protection Spider'.

I stress tested the adaptor yesterday evening (I hit it with a 1.5kW load). I tried the 'top' outlet first, and all seemed fine, then the 'front' outlet, which caused the body of the adaptor to heat up significantly over about a ten minute period. Just plugged into a different socket with no load, it remained cold, even after a couple of hours.

Interestingly, a smaller load (16W fan motor) was enough to cause significant heating - it just takes longer to get there. I'm suspecting a resistive path/poor connection within, somewhere where the conductors for each outlet meet at a common point.

Ultimately, I'll open it up and take a look inside - Hmm, Death Spider, or Duff Conductor!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2020 10:13 pm
Stitch
(@stitch)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

I was about to change this as it has non-insulatd pins and noticed it was made in Hong Kong, don't think I've seen one before.

John

rsz 1hkplug

valveradios.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2020 8:31 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @katie-bush

Interestingly, a smaller load (16W fan motor) was enough to cause significant heating - it just takes longer to get there. I'm suspecting a resistive path/poor connection within, somewhere where the conductors for each outlet meet at a common point.

Have you considered putting a Megger across it, Marion? Be quickest just to open it up though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2020 6:38 pm
Page 3 / 3