Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Some interesting bits

unrealdave
(@unrealdave)
Member Deactivated Account

I got these the other day and showed them to Jeff. Anyone ever used anything like this? If so what for? :aaq

Maturity is overrated.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/08/2014 1:43 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Hi Dave
Griffin and George were manufacturers of laboratory equipment for places like schools.
The coil looks like the sort of item that would be used to demonstrate the properties of magnetism.

Mike

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2014 1:49 pm
Mark Hennessy
(@markh)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

I suspect it was used as a shunt for a current meter...

Schools used to have plenty of low voltage, high current supplies in their labs. One of my schools still had them in use in 1984-5, but that was a proper "old school" - practically Victorian in every sense of the word. Wish I'd stayed there - I might have had a duller time during my teenage years, but would have been much better educated :bba

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2014 5:11 pm
unrealdave
(@unrealdave)
Member Deactivated Account

Hi Dave
Griffin and George were manufacturers of laboratory equipment for places like schools.
The coil looks like the sort of item that would be used to demonstrate the properties of magnetism. Mike

Hi Mike - yeh I figured that out but I am not sure how I would use it. I know it takes 4 volts as it says so, and I know it would have to be ac so 4 volts ac on the test or magnetising coil? If I put it on the test coil it will up the voltage on the magnetising coil and drop the voltage the other way round? How would this test the properties of magnetism? Should I drop a compass in the middle? Answers on a postcard please :)

Maturity is overrated.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/08/2014 11:47 am