Spiral scanning of a CRT

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

I found this article and noted it was an April magazine, Now is this a spoof or a possible working CCTV system? page 94

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Tele-Tech/Tele-Tech-1955-04.pdf

Keep the grey cells working.

Frank

Posted : 21/06/2018 8:49 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Honorable Member Registered

Without looking at the article my first thoughts were that the spot would spend more time in the central area than in the periphery. I see that the author does include brightness correction so it sounds as if a greater range of brightness is demanded of the phosphor and I would think that's a bad thing.

Peter  ? 

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 22/06/2018 7:50 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

Posted by: peterscott

Without looking at the article my first thoughts were that the spot would spend more time in the central area than in the periphery. I see that the author does include brightness correction so it sounds as if a greater range of brightness is demanded of the phosphor and I would think that's a bad thing.

Peter  ? 

Brilliance correction is mentioned, see fig 8 .

Seems a bit like re-inventing the wheel to me (pun intended)  ?  ? 

Posted : 22/06/2018 9:24 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Personally, I think it is an April fools trick designed to get you thinking. And it certainly succeeds there.  ? 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 22/06/2018 3:37 pm
turretslug
(@turretslug)

I vote for April Fool, too- as well as the shading implications, I imagine that movement artefacts could be at best weird, if not disturbing. Long, long ago, one of the electronics publications did a spoof about Lissajou TV scanning, the idea being that if the pattern was dense enough, a credible image could be produced.

It's not to say that there weren't all sorts of people, from mad lone inventors in sheds to learned boffins with big industrial money behind them, trying to conjure up improved methods of portraying an electronic picture. I think it's reasonable to imagine that the original EMI team (who were indisputably, as Ian Durie put it, clever baxxxxds) would have thrown all sorts of ideas up in the air during research and development and settled on line and field raster scanning as the least troublesome solution.

Posted : 22/06/2018 4:00 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)

Yes, I hadn't spotted the publication month, so well a truly fooled.

Peter  ?  ? 

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 22/06/2018 5:13 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Out of interest a search for further information proved negative, so it was either an April fool or and solution looking for a problem it never found.

On the search I came across this from 1947 for a spiral chronograph which looks much more useful at a time when other instruments to do this task were probably not as reliable.

page 69.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Tele-Tech/Tele-Tech-1947-06.pdf

Keep you away from the football. ? 

Frank

Posted : 22/06/2018 7:52 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: peterscott

Yes, I hadn't spotted the publication month, so well a truly fooled.

Peter  ?  ? 

Never mind Peter..... but of course it might not be an April fool's. We may never know. ? 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 23/06/2018 9:52 am
peterscott
(@peterscott)

Hmm! I know though.  ☹  But thanks for the kind words Andrew.

Peter   ? 

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 23/06/2018 2:04 pm
Share: