4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations for temporary (will probably end up being permanent) storage of TV sets and spares stock so I can clear my workshop and install some racks for displaying purposes etc.

I am now at a point where I can't move in the workshop for crap useful stuff and need somewhere to move it to so I clear the place up.

Don't have a huge budget.

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 24/06/2018 10:40 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

You can rent lock-up garages but realistically, unless you have space for an additional shed you are into the realms of storage units/containers; the latter is a competitive market but it's worth steering away from the big names to get a better deal.

Currently, I rent five storage units and it's costing me a bomb: it was suggested to me that the amount I pay monthly in storage fees could usefully be spent on a mortgage on a second property! I'm hoping - one day - to get it down to two, or hopefully even one but I very much doubt it unless a major part of my collection/hoard goes. Maybe I need to face facts and do that - I'm hoping to retire in three years time and I won't have the money to blow on storage when I just have my pension coming in.

Posted : 25/06/2018 7:55 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Before getting more space which you will fill then again fill your workshop and be no better off. 

Sort out what you don’t really need/want and sell it, give or skip it. You may not need any more storage or what you do require may be easier to sort.

My mate had to do this 10 years ago, lots of soul searching that it may come in handy but if it did he managed without it.

Guaranteed, get more storage and you will fill it.

Frank

Posted : 25/06/2018 8:19 am
Pye Man
(@pye-man)
Honorable Member Registered

Like Murphy's (?) Law - work expands to fill the time available - stuff expands to fill the space available.

Storage as a temporary measure will become permanent (been there, got the tee-shirt).

I have been steadily disposing of stuff that I will never get around to restoring or using. I hate the thought of taking things to the tip and so am often happy give it away to someone who may use it. I got rid of a lot of stuff at the recent NVCF by donating it to the Radio Museum stand. To clear the stall they did an 'everything left is £1' which, I think, is how most of my stuff went! Someone got something they might use, the museum got a few quid and I didn't have to take it home. Result.

Not always easy but you have to be a bit hard-headed and say to yourself: "Am I ever going to use/need/restore this? Indeed have I the time (left!) to restore this?"

I think we are birds of a feather on this forum with deep interests and tend to hang onto things for historic or sentimental reasons. I have other friends who just 'move on' and have no heirlooms other than what they consider might be valuable in a monetary sense. They are of a different (but commoner) mindset and tend to think we are at least eccentric if not bonkers...

Nick

Posted : 25/06/2018 11:01 am
Share: