Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Tuning troubles - an historical survey - Television 1986-01  

EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I have just read the article mentioned in the title, and it covered many of the types of tuning arrangement I have seen over the years, but, like so many of these articles, had nothing to say on the rotary UHF preset type, e.g. Hitachi HU-548UK fitted to sub-19" CRT sets with the PAL-1 and PAL-2 chassis. Apart from an issue with the bearings which I know can cause them to short out on channel changes, little seems to be said about this tuner type. I'm not entirely sure of the technology behind them, and, except when I encounter such a set, few people seem to remember that this type of tuner existed.

Are there any good articles on this type of tuner?

"Yes, a bit of wet string may get you a good TV signal here on four channels, but you'll have to dry it out to get Channel 5!"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2020 9:47 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

I don’t remember them, the first Hitachi we sold was the CNP-190 which was 4 push buttons and varicap tuner, followed by the CNP192 with more buttons and a different varicap tuner.

I don’t recall selling smaller Hitachi screens, but we may have done.

Have you a photo, it may jog my memory  I tend to remember the parts that failed in TV sets, if it didn’t give trouble I didn’t look too closely at that part of the set. Get them fixed and off to the next job and the first Hitachi sets didn’t go wrong very often.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2020 10:40 am
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)

Have a look at Crusty's Repair Blog for his (now my) CSP-680 (not in my house yet, currently in Manchester) - this is a good example of a PAL-1 17". I remember, though the knob was different, having the same tuner on our CEP-180.

"Yes, a bit of wet string may get you a good TV signal here on four channels, but you'll have to dry it out to get Channel 5!"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2020 11:26 am
Nuvistor liked
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Just had a look, I commented on that blog, only remembered when I looked at it. I don’t recognise that tuner, it’s not one we sold. It’s possible that the shop owner thought he could move more larger screen CTV’s than put money into perhaps slower moving small screen sets. Our customers wanted a set for everyday use not say a kitchen or bedroom TV. That changed of course as the BW portable sets were replaced by CTV “portables” later in the 70’s.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2020 12:46 pm
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)

Indeed, the Japanese sets having no more than a 20" CRT at the time meant they were often the choice for smaller locations, especially as British sets of that size were not common. However, I do know Hitachi sold quite well because customers liked the picture - certainly that's how we got our CEP-180 on rental from Wigfalls, after my parents were impressed by it in the shop, I think within a week the old black and white set had failed - about in the middle of "King Rat" - so, not surprisingly Wigfalls were immediately consulted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2020 2:24 pm