Weller Soldering Station

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
mfd70
(@mfd70)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Despite being such a critical tool, I've managed at home for the last 32 years with my Antex mains powered iron and  a more recent Maplin temperature controlled unit. However since that died and the Antex is too powerful for modern PCBs, I decided to buy my self a Weller iron, I've been using Weller irons at various places of work for about the same time. 

Checking RS, Farnell, Rapid etc. The price of these stations seemed a bit too high for my requirements (>£250++) but on further investigation, I found Amazon had various Weller stations from the US at a much reduced cost. In fact I found a WES51D unit on Ebay US for less than $100 including postage, there is import duty on this type of equipment of about $20 also.

I was very pleased to find my WES51D station, of course it is 110V, but it could be powered from a 110V site transformer if you have one. I chose a low cost (£15 inc post) Chinese autotransformer  from Ebay, I'm quite suspicious of cheap ebay equipment that is mains connected, but I opened this unit and found it was of reasonably good construction and suitable for use in a workshop environment.

So overall I have a Weller Soldering station coming in at just under £100, in my opinion worth the wait and inconvenience of an autotransformer.

DSC00342

Posted : 03/12/2017 10:41 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Seems very good value for money to me. 

I've always been a fan of Weller irons but the Antex irons are pretty good too for the price.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 03/12/2017 10:47 pm
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)
Honorable Member Registered

I was considering a Weller station until a Maplins clearance deal offered their one for less than £30.

I too have managed most of my life with Antex, Adcola and Litesold etc irons. I decided that it was time to treat myself to a bit of new tech when my favourite and faithful  Adcola failed, I can't find a new element for it.

I am pleased with the Maplins so far. It needs a heat protecting collar to keep my fingers off the element retaining ring and as insurance I bought spare bits and an element. I have found that if I have the spares to hand, things don't go wrong!

I also have a cheap Chinese desoldering iron with built in pump, its a bit under powered but handy. And  a monster 100W Henley Solon.

Boater Sam

Posted : 04/12/2017 7:37 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Antex, Adcola, Litesold and not forgetting the Henley Solon.

All irons I have used, some I still have, I have a cheap temp controlled iron somewhere, not used. 

My dad never owned an electric iron, always managed with the old fashioned one on the gas ring, mind it was all chassis radios no PCB’s.

Frank

Posted : 04/12/2017 8:02 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

I have worked with Weller irons all my life, until I discovered Metcal. I wouldn't use anything else now. Damned expensive, but a superb system which uses 18MHz induction heating to heat the tip.

I've now got a desoldering station as well as an SMD rework station, including tweezers.

It's not all been plain sailing, however...

http://andydoz.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/metcal-mx-ps5000-repair.html

Posted : 04/12/2017 9:45 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

Posted by: Doz

[...] but a superb system which uses 18MHz induction heating to heat the tip.

It's not 18MHz, it's 13.56Mhz ... oops.

Posted : 04/12/2017 4:35 pm
Share: