Featured
Latest
What would you like...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

What would you like to add to your collection?

51 Posts
19 Users
9 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

What item/s be it Radio, Television or test equipment that you wish you still had or wish to add to your collection.

For those of you who don't actively collect or repair, you can still play along. Is there an item/s from your past, that if you saw in a shop, might be tempted to purchase for old times-sake.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 19/04/2018 10:58 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

For me it has to be a childhood family set, a GEC Electra 23 inch dual standard. It was a wedding present in 1965 to mum and dad and served us well until 1977. It had a gold effect metal stand with a magazine rack. Oh how I'd love to have one again.

This is a dream photo lol....

GEC PYE 004

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 20/04/2018 5:58 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

That's a smashing looking set there Andrew, can't say I ever seen one. I wonder if Chris "The Teleman" has one, his vast collection used to contain a number of GEC's. 

Posted : 20/04/2018 7:26 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

For me, a KB VV20 "Vanguard" television. For many years afterwards we still had the magazine rack.

Radio? In about 1932 Decca produced a radiogram similar in appearance to the model 29 I own but with a record changer like that used on the Brunswick Automatic Panatrope.

Posted : 20/04/2018 8:17 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

I would at some point like to obtain a Ferguson 941T. It was the first TV I remember as a child. BBC1 only but my brother brought home a converter so we could watch the 'new' ITV (ITA then) channel in 1956. I'm in no rush and will take my time to find a reasonable one.

Posted : 20/04/2018 9:53 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

GEC  C2110 ... never see them anymore. I expect all the plastic cases have disintegrated!

Posted : 20/04/2018 10:36 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

What would I like to add to my collection ?...... MORE SPACE !  ? 

But beside space I would dearly love an early post war small console set such as  Pye D16T or D18T although I got a heck of a shock when a D18T sold the other week for near £400 ! The last time I remember seeing them on sale they were around 30 quid a pop, What the heck happened ???  ? 

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 20/04/2018 5:00 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: Marc

The last time I remember seeing them on sale they were around 30 quid a pop, What the heck happened ???  ? 

One of two things

1. Perhaps the last time you looked might have been some considerable time ago? I've not seen one at £30 for ages, I too wanted one and looked for a very long time, most then were £80 upwards but always darn sarf! I then moved to colour and stopped looking. 
  2. Bidding war due to sentimental reasons, I saw two early colours go way beyond what they normally fetch.

Evidence to support the second? I sold a T-Vette for £160 as two chaps wanted it for sentimental reasons, Way more than they normally fetch. Don't give up hope one will turn up but I doubt at £30.

Posted : 20/04/2018 5:08 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

See what is occurring this winter in my life  but I may have look for a small Plastic cabinet radio. No space for televisions or test equipment apart from a test meter so definitely no TV.  Not bothered if it’s a live chassis set as long as the cabinet and it’s back are good.

Probably a valve set, the transistor sets are too small for hand and eyes unless it’s a decent size cabinet.

See what is happening in Winter, family commitments seem to rule me.

Frank

Posted : 20/04/2018 5:34 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Something like a Bush DAC90A Frank?  Frequently available, sometimes not too pricy either.

Posted : 20/04/2018 5:38 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Chris,

Oh the days of the 30 quidder are long gone, of that I'm well aware but not to the tune of £400, I nearly spilt my Bovril !   ? 

It's the same with 'Quad' audio gear, superb stuff but so expensive now, if I sold mine now I would never afford to replace it in the future and likewise with Tannoy HPD speakers I have. In fact I've been looking for a single Quad II valve amplifier for a long time but they are so highly priced it's just too far out of reach for me.

You certainly did well with your T-Vette though.  ? 

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 20/04/2018 5:41 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: PYE625

Something like a Bush DAC90A Frank?  Frequently available, sometimes not too pricy either.

Possibly, just been looking at prices of various radios, they much more expensive than 3 or 4 years ago when I last had a session. Still not out of this world prices.

I missed the BVWS meeting in Golborne and will miss the auction in Adlington as noted in another post.

The Golborne meeting in November is usually worth visiting, very small but decent meeting.

Frank

Posted : 20/04/2018 5:58 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

A G6 would go down nicely! But if I'm honest, I'm not sure if I could keep one in the manner to which may have become accustomed (not a lot of space). Otherwise, I'm always on the fly for a DAC90/90A or TV22 if one were near enough, and the price was near enough! A KB ER30, one day, and maybe a G8 wouldn't go amiss.

Err, can I bring my own furniture van?

Posted : 20/04/2018 8:48 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: Katie Bush

[...] and maybe a G8 wouldn't go amiss.

Well there's a nice little 1974 22" g8 (of the last generation, combined signals PCB and the less reliable over head conv panel) up for £25 in Peterborough.  I expect if you ask Mike he'd collect it for you, of course you'd have to win it first. Let your fingers do the walking clicking  ? 

Posted : 20/04/2018 8:51 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Wish there was a GEC Electra up for £25 lol.....but first, I must go and collect a Bush TV135 from Jamie.

Posted : 20/04/2018 9:12 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

I ought to say that the photo shown above of the GEC was taken from UKVRRR and I'm assuming the set belongs to MickMcmichael in Peterborough. 

It is shown in this thread.....  https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65347&page=3

Posted : 20/04/2018 9:34 pm
Boingy
(@boingy)
Estimable Member Registered

For B/W TVs, I'd like a BRC/Thorn 850 chassis. It was the first telly I fixed as a kid. I remember a resistor on the earthy end of the Line Hold pot was increasing resistance when warm. Another one would probably be a boring old 1500 chassis. This sticks in my mind because of the reaction of the customer and her friend. "Thank you. Thank you. You fixed it" she sobbed whilst grabbing my hands and on her knees. You see, the set was the last thing in the house left of her husband. She was absolutely desperate to get it fixed. It made quite an impression on a 19 year old engineer. The customer was well into her eighties and I found out that she had died about a year later. Still gives me a lump in my throat when I think about it, even now. Saw one on the ground floor of the Science Museum in London, which I showed to my very puzzled grandkids, as they sat on a Cray Supercomputer!
For colour TVs, ITT CVC5 or 9 Hybrids, a G8, a (don't laugh!) G11, a Decca Bradford chassis, a 9000 (just to hear it start up again). Only ever saw a single 2000 chassis, but that and a 3500 chassis would be nice as well 🙂
Cheers everyone
Tony

Standards are like toothbrushes. Everybody needs them, but nobody want to use yours!

Posted : 20/04/2018 9:38 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: Chris
Posted by: Katie Bush

[...] and maybe a G8 wouldn't go amiss.

Well there's a nice little 1974 22" g8 (of the last generation, combined signals PCB and the less reliable over head conv panel) up for £25 in Peterborough.  I expect if you ask Mike he'd collect it for you, of course you'd have to win it first. Let your fingers do the walking clicking  ? 

I know the seller in question. Bought a nice Ekco A52 from same. 

Posted : 20/04/2018 10:25 pm
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)
Reputable Member Registered

I would like the TV that my parents bought in 1953. My mother said it was for the Coronation and my father for the football final Bolton V Blackpool. (we lived in Bolton). We had the set for 8 years and I believe it never had a fault. Unfortunatly I do not know what make or model it was! What I can say is that it was a square table model single channel. The front had a protection screen that could be removed by a small screw in the 4 corners. The rectangular detachable screen had a pinky/purple  tint and was shaped with indentations to fit right up to the 12 inch screen. The only two controls were mounted vertically on the RHS (viewed from front) towards the front of the TV. Both controls being recessed into the side.

If anyone has any ideas of the make and model please let me know.

Posted : 20/04/2018 10:26 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Tony’s comment about sentimental value struck a chord with me. 

This was a Grundig TK14 with lots of recordings of her late husband.  She was desperate to have it working so she could hear his voice again. This would have been the middle 60’s. 

Has I look around my house I see the items my late wife and I bought together slowly disappearing overtime as they wear out.

I must find out the TV we had for the Coronation, HMV console for Holme Moss, I do recall it was not the most reliable of TV sets though. Only valves but still, the Z77 type is still in my mind.

Frank

Posted : 21/04/2018 3:54 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: