Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Workshop Extension and Journey

Page 3 / 3

crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

A slight delay on the finish, I sort of forgot I have 5 colour CRT's that were buried in the spare lounge. One is NOS boxed and has gone under the PCB repair bench. The remaining 4 worried me as they need putting somewhere other than on the floor or on top of TV's where they can fall off or get necked. Nothing for it but to build a custom CRT tower to hold them.

Therefore I've spent the afternoon building the rack to house them. It's only partially built as I had to stop due to not only me running out of steam but my impact screwdriver has also run out of charge. Looking to finish it tomorrow and stain it so it looks older.

crtrack

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing
Vrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/11/2020 10:20 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

CRT storage rack is now completed, just need to move it into place in the corner then back to finishing the move.

crtrackfin

Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/11/2020 12:08 pm
Lloyd and Nuvistor liked
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

More progress photos, almost done now. I've carpeted the steps and just need to tidy the bench. A few more VCR's and laser players and that's it.

Sorry if I'm boring you with pictures, these will be almost the last.

updat1
updat2
updat3
updat4
updat5

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/11/2020 7:05 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@crustytv
Not boring at all. Those TV’s take me back 40-50 years to the technology I was fixing then.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2020 8:36 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Far from boring, I'm really enjoying this thread!

Regards,

Lloyd

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2020 10:07 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Well its done! Next the 70's lounge to finish.

enda
endb
end1
end2
end3
bench
end4
wrkben

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/11/2020 11:08 pm
Lloyd and Nuvistor liked
1100man
(@1100man)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

@crustytv

It's been an interesting journey, watching the project unfold over the last few months. Thanks for taking the time to write all the reports and post all the pictures. I really hope you now feel inspired to get down to some serious TV fixing again!

I keep spotting interesting TV's & VCR's in the pictures- the big downside of kit from this era is that it's all so heavy! Especially the big console sets with doors. I can really sympathise with all the lugging about you had to do!

All the best

Nick

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2020 12:47 am
crustytv liked
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@1100man
The really heavy sets with doors was always a 2 person lift, but I do wonder how I managed to carry the others. I sometimes think these days that someone as nailed my grocery bags to the floor when I am shopping.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2020 10:32 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @1100man

I keep spotting interesting TV's & VCR's in the pictures- the big downside of kit from this era is that it's all so heavy! Especially the big console sets with doors.

N1500, N1700, 3V16 and VLP 700 players are ridiculously heavy too.

The worst TV to move out of all of them was the Aphelion! Why they did not put concealed hand grip slots underneath is beyond me. I've no idea how they moved this in the past. Not only is it a 26" and odd shape, when lifting you can't get a good grip so your hands are always slipping away. Coupled to that the base is so large that you cannot walk properly, only shuffle and shin yourself repeatedly. Rubber gloves helped but basically the only grip you get is palm pressure.

I've decided that I will never move that TV again, its can stay where it is. The three back breaker TV's were B&O 3000, Baird 8749 and the Thorn 25" 2000 and believe it or not the 19" 2000 is deceptively heavy.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/11/2020 11:16 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I can't believe this weekend marks 12 months since work commenced on the “new” workshop come museum. Boy, time does fly, it seemed like an age for the work to commence, even longer for it to finish, going over time and over budget.

I thought by way of marking the anniversary, I would post some update photos, as if you're like me, some folk love a good snoop. A few things have been moved around and added. Some more TVs have gone, a fair few new ones added, mainly continentals. A few more new UK ones are arriving at the end of this month, more on those in due course.

Photo updates;

First, this is what the lawn outside the workshop looked like back in 2020 after many workmen had trampled it.

grass

Next the current externals, the grass has now fully recovered, as you can see from before it was a mess last year when the workman had finished. They reckoned I'd need to re-turf, but I spent ages scarifying, aerating and seeding. The effort seems to have been rewarded, even after the scorching of summer and lack of rain. I'm glad I went for the low maintenace UPVC cladding, a soapy bucket and mop has the whole place sparkling, with no yearly maintenance or rot to worry about.

spa
spb

Access as you may recall is via the conservatory, passing into the workshop store room, with evaluation bench.

spc
spd
spe
spf

And like a good episode of PlaySchool.... we pass through the rectangle store door....

20210915 130918
20210915 130933

Should you ever visit "CrustyTV Corners", just as you pass into the shop there's the hospitality corner. Here you can help yourself to a Cappuccino, Latte, (both available in skinny if you prefer)Flat White and a choice of sugar-free snack bar, or full on sugar biscuit.

sp8
sp22
hospitality

Continuing through, with your coffee and snack .....

sp10
sp12
sp21
sp14
sp16
sp17
sp18
sp2
sp4
sp6

Finally, arriving at the main workbench

ben1
ben2

Had it not been for the pandemic, I had panned to have a grand opening of "CrustyTV Corners", the Great N.E. summer Vintage TV Bash and barbecue. Maybe one day, if things ever return to normality.

That's all Folks, hope you enjoyed. 👍

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 15/09/2021 1:41 pm
Mikey66, Jayceebee, ntscuser and 6 people liked
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

Nice to see how it all looks now everything is in place.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2021 10:28 pm
Mikey66
(@mikey66)
Active V-Ratter Registered

Looking good Chris.

How is the 1970s themed lounge coming on?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2021 5:15 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

It's done Mike, hang on I'll take some pics

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/09/2021 5:33 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Here you go Mike, photo's of the 70's lounge all finished. A great place to escape from the 21st century.

lg1
lg2
lg3
lg4
lg5
lg6
lg7
lg8
lg9

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/09/2021 5:41 pm
ntscuser, jcdaze and Lloyd liked
Mikey66
(@mikey66)
Active V-Ratter Registered

That looks fantastic Chris, especially as I saw that room when it was full of televisions.

Is the socket next to your wall unit upside down so you can get the wall unit right up to the skirting board?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/09/2021 10:10 am
Jac Janssen
(@jac-janssen)

Absolutely fantastic Chris!

And what a great period cupboard.

Jac

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2021 7:06 am
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)

Great looking lounge, the family of one of my friends when I was young had almost the same gas fire with the back lit fibreglass logs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2021 10:29 pm
Page 3 / 3