Share:
Notifications
Clear all

A chap from Bavaria uses (mostly) only analogue tech at home (auf Deutsch)  

Alex728
(@alex728)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

Got sent a link to this by a friend in Germany (from a short documentary from the Bayerischer Rundfunk), very impressive collection of items and all in regular use too (including a Siemens telex machine connected via Internet!)

Apparently the B&W TV he has restored is from the UK..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2020 9:55 pm
Doz and peterscott liked
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Atomkraft? 🌞 Nein Danke! - Who here remembers that bumper sticker? Another 'pre-digital' artefact of times past.

I think the last time I tried to send a telex message, was about 1987 (or 8) from my Prestel terminal. Is telex still used these days? However, I still occasionally use a fax machine, and I still own a PABX that can use analogue (loop disconnect) telephones, and still have a few rotary dial telephones.

Multi View T35 makes analogue TV a reality, and I guess, my Aurora makes analogue VHF TV equally realistic.

I have to say, I love that AEG Fridge, and thankfully, still doing what it was made to do. In the wrong hands, it could by now have been a book case, or a hideous lamp/room feature.

AEG = Allgemeine Elektricitäts-Gesellschaft - The German equivalent of GEC!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 10:23 pm
Alex728 liked
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I heard that it was a common joke about AEG in Germany that the initials stood for "Auspacken, Einschalten, Geht nicht" (unpack, switch on, does not work)!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2020 12:00 am
Alex728 and ntscuser liked
turretslug
(@turretslug)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

An acquaintance of mine who used to work as an appliance repairman said his heart used to sink when he was called out to sort an AEG appliance- "the worst sort of people, they want the image for cheap"! He reckoned that there was quite a close correlation between social grouping and brand. Putting his money where his mouth was, he reckoned Zanussi had the best quality/price intersect. This was all a couple of decades ago, and the picture gets greatly distorted in the acquisition/takeover churn with "capitalisation of goodwill" (or brand prostitution, as I prefer to think of it).

On the subject of acronyms, I like Idioten Kaufen Eben Alles....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2020 9:56 am
Alex728 liked