Share:
Notifications
Clear all

AM and FM radio to continue for ten years?  

Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

From todays' Daily Mail: Guess what, big radio switch-off is off again.
Looks like the digital changeover is to be put back ten years.

"Radio fans will be able to carry on listening to AM and AM radio stations on older devices in cars and at home until 2032 ministers announced yesterday."

The commercial AM stations maybe but what about the BBC services? Radio Four on long wave for example.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2020 3:43 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

MW stations for both commercial and BBC must have questions over them. The BBC claim the need to cut costs and regional staff are being cut so no doubt they will be costing transmissions system, lots of money put into BBC Sounds.
Commercial stations will be checking MW listener numbers, many radios for the last few years are FM/DAB+ only, no AM. Commercial stations usually also have internet outlets.

FM will be safe, any station handing back its FM license will quickly be filled by another.

We shall have to see how it pans out but whether BBC or commercial the old ROI will be the guiding influence.

My thoughts probably way off as are my usual predictions.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2020 6:39 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

I believe the BBC position on Droitwich is that as long as the transmitter's owner can source the PA valves it will provide a service, but won't pay for modernising to a solid-state unit. 

Cutting local broadcast is farcical - all the time the idiots at BH spend banging on about trying to be less London-centric and then they do this?! 

People are also assuming that the BBC will still be around in 2032: if it is, I doubt it'll be in a form we recognise now. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2020 7:43 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Posted by: @cathovisor

People are also assuming that the BBC will still be around in 2032: if it is, I doubt it'll be in a form we recognise now. 

That’s very true, we have to wait and see what the BBC will be like after this round of cuts. They have delivered less and less for me over the last 5 or 10 years but for the little the do provide it’s not that expensive, wouldn’t  like it to increase by much more though. BBC TV and radio amount to 2-3 hours a week for me.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2020 9:16 pm
Alex728, helloekco, Red_to_Black and 1 people liked
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator
Posted by: @nuvistor
Posted by: @cathovisor

That’s very true, we have to wait and see what the BBC will be like after this round of cuts. They have delivered less and less for me over the last 5 or 10 years but for the little the do provide it’s not that expensive, wouldn’t  like it to increase by much more though. BBC TV and radio amount to 2-3 hours a week for me.

Two to three hours? - That's about as much as can find worth watching! Lunchtime news, and that's about it for me. I did watch the Coronavirus Daily Updates, while they were being broadcast, but even that's now consigned to history.

It will indeed be interesting to see how Auntie Beeb tries to justify extracting money from all and sundry, forcing them to pay for something they don't use (The old argument of Tesco forcing us to pay them, for the privilege of shopping at Morrisons).

The biggest problem hereabouts is that DAB coverage is at best, mediocre, and for the most part barely receivable. Mobile DAB reception? Forget it! - I wonder if, as more cars become "net connected" (5g, maybe?) there might be a big swing to internet radio listening?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2020 10:02 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

@katie-bush

The time was for both radio and TV with more emphasis on the radio. I am probably lucky with DAB, signal is solid at home and for most of my car journeys so use that most of the time. It’s on at the moment but not BBC, appreciate bit rates can be abysmal but I find the quality perfectly ok, I don’t have the best of hearing so it suits me fine.

I occasionally listen to internet radio but not that often.

There is no doubt that DAB could provide excellent quality but it’s been squeezed to produce more income. Perhaps stations couldn’t afford what it would cost to have fewer stations and better bit rates.

I don’t believe I am in the age group the BBC want to nurture but still want to contribute, for what I get I am ok but not a great deal more. Have to see if I feel the same after the cuts that they are contemplating  for National and regional output.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2020 10:26 pm
helloekco
(@helloekco)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

Proposed cutting of analogue services annoys me somewhat, as the alternative technology is just not up to the job. I've pretty much stopped watching terrestrial TV now, but back when analogue was switched off, even though I'm only 5 miles or so from the Emley Moor transmitter I could not get a reliable digital signal whenever there was any wind - which is frequent, where I live! And digital breakup is far, far less tolerable than analogue interference. My experiences with DAB are pretty much the same.

Yes, there is internet streaming as an alternative, but I think that path is too much like putting all your eggs in one basket...

Analogue is still a simple, elegant solution in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/07/2020 12:17 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Found this website and the topic is the RTE1 on 252Khz LW. transmitter. https://www.transmission1.net/viewtopic.php?t=47015

One contributor suggests that RTE should sell the transmitter to the BBC when the LW R4 valves go pop!  

Till Eulenspiegel

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/07/2020 9:28 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

RTE was brave to turn off their MW transmitters a few years ago.  I heard it wasn't popular with people in rural areas and listeners further afield.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/07/2020 10:39 pm