Notifications
Clear all

Tech Chat Anyone else watch YouTube on their old sets?

WayneD
(@wayned)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

As the title says, does anyone else do this? Originally I was doing this as a "reliability test" but I've now got into the habit of watching tech stuff directly from YouTube on either my Rediffusion Guildford or my Toshiba 12SB.

20220516 202846

Spot the @doz

I use a PS3 with custom firmware as it has both WiFi and wireless controllers:

20220516 203809

Hooked up to a Maplins RF modulator.

20220325 142907
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/05/2022 9:24 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @wayned

As the title says, does anyone else do this? Originally I was doing this as a "reliability test" but I've now got into the habit of watching tech stuff directly from YouTube on either my Rediffusion Guildford or my Toshiba 12SB.

Good looking fella....

I often do this, getting the aspect ratio to look right is one benefit of Frank's hedghog, when in 405

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2022 9:53 am
WayneD liked
WayneD
(@wayned)

@doz I can kinda adjust the aspect ratio with the PS3 but Raspberry Pis are better for that. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/05/2022 11:15 am
Doz liked
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

Yes, streaming with VLC player, a graphics card and modulator.

Baird 240 lines (nostalgiatech.co.uk)

Peter

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2022 11:42 am
WayneD liked
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

I did it as a proof of concept once, but a slightly different method: I sent it from my Samsung mobile to my WDTV Live box and thence to my TV, thus proving the path that would eventually get to my standards converter and modulator; however, my streaming adaptor (the WDTV Live) is rather getting on now and thus is rather clunky for video, but fine for streaming audio from my NAS into a Cambridge Audio DAC via TOSLink so I intend to replace it with an RPi running OSMC. I have all the bits, just none of the time.

The idea was when I get my Baird T21 restored (ha!) that I could meet people who laughed and pointed at my .4K system that I could stream a YT video to it from my phone...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2022 12:03 pm
WayneD liked
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

I have also had YouTube on old 405 line sets before, normally via the workshop PC (a Dell tablet on a dock!) through one of those HDMI to AV boxes, into either the Aurora or Hedghog. I sat and watched a short film on Mullard CRT production on the Murphy V180C.

Regards 

Lloyd 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2022 1:37 pm
WayneD liked
19Seventie
(@19seventie)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I do!

It's a great source for period viewing. I do occasionally use it for 'streaming' too. I find Absolute History to be a great channel.

In fact YouTube is the only source my 405 line sets ever see. I would like to get another standards converter one day to get broadcast TV onto them too, but that can wait.

I also have a really small YouTube channel too where I find period content that's in a 16:9 pillar box aspect ratio and crop it back down to true 4:3. I've uploaded a handful of test cards and other general patterns thats not already on youtube if anyone's interested. If anyone has any footage they would like to see I'm more than happy to give it a go, just let me know

16:9 to 4:3 - YouTube

I'm a little worried as it seems the xbox 360 is slowly losing support for youtube so not too sure how i'll get back onto it if/when it closes down. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/05/2022 1:18 am
WayneD liked
WayneD
(@wayned)

@19seventie is the Xbox 360 modded? If not, that's the best way to future proof it and ensure that you'll be able to continue to run YouTube through it.

With the modded PS3 I use that can't run Sony's YouTube app but there's plenty of support for the custom firmware and other YouTube apps. I will say that the PS3 is way easier to mod than the Xbox 360 though.

Oh yeah, massive respect for uploading vids in the correct aspect ratio! Stuff being uploaded in 16:9 is huge problem I've found. I'd taken to downloading it and correcting it on my laptop and playing it from a USB stick.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/05/2022 7:07 am
19Seventie
(@19seventie)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

@wayned No it's not, I've never really thought about it as I have no interest in modern tech, just how I can use it to get my old tech working! I wouldn't even know where to start in regards to modding it, or even what to search on google for tutorials! Like I say - not my area of interest at all. I've got a PS3 as well but it's not mine so wouldn't ever be allowed to mod it.

And thank you, it really is and it's extremely irritating. I know it's only people like us that it now affects, but i really can't stand it either. I think I'll start putting stuff onto USB too as youtube puts strikes on a lot of things now, and I'd really like to create my own 'broadcasts' based on the schedules of the 60s and 70s - nerdy i know!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/05/2022 10:23 pm