Featured
Latest
Arecibo - Large rad...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Arecibo - Large radio telescope is no more.

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

No idea why this item has never hit the UK's international news - or did i miss something? But, the large radio telescope at Arecibo, collapsed on December 1st (5 days ago). After 57 years service, a more recent lack of maintenance and dwindling funds, the supporting cables (sky-wires) have failed, causing the transmitter/receiver array to fall into the dish. The backlash of the outer guys (cable stays) broke off the topmost sections of two of the cable support towers. The equipment in the suspended platform, the platform itself and receiver dome were destroyed in the 500t fall, and severely damaged (essentially destroyed) the dish reflector itself.

Posted : 06/12/2020 5:36 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@katie-bush

Appears you missed the news.

Puerto Rico: The moment the Arecibo Observatory telescope collapsed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55181448

A cable snapped a short while ago and it was deemed to dangerous to repair. Little maintenance over its 60 years has been suggested. A small earth tremor I understand brought it down.

Frank

Posted : 06/12/2020 6:23 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Frank,

So it would seem, but then, it's been one hell of a week here, last week.  I only learned of the disaster last night. It's certainly been a fantastic piece of engineering over its short lifetime.

I guess, only time will tell if it gets rebuilt, replaced, or simply swept under the rug.

Posted : 06/12/2020 6:33 pm
Share: