28 Posts
8 Users
39 Likes
Davek0974
(@davek0974)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi all,

been away from the bench for some years, i had a good few threads in the radio section back then regarding pantry transmitters 😉

I'm looking to dig out the box of valves again and mess with simple audio amps, mostly for educational reasons, basically i like playing with valves 😉

Seems the hardest struggle i face is the output transformer - is there an item you could recommend that will allow the widest scope of playing about - different valve types and designs etc ?? They seem to be hideously expensive so i wouldn't want to buy more than one or two 🙂 

I have various power supply transformers, tons of valves and components but the OPT is a struggle.

Any tips??

Posted : 03/12/2020 9:03 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

Hammond do a configurable transformer, with half a dozen taps on it, there's a push pull and single ended variant. Only good for a couple of watts, but great for playing around with. 

http://www.hammondmfg.com/5caud.htm#Tube

Posted : 03/12/2020 9:47 am
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)
Honorable Member Registered

@davek0974

Do RS still sell their multi-tapped ones? they were handy for replacements but single ended output stage only.

You could wind your own of course or use mains transformers with centre tapped secondary if you want push-pull, not ideal but will work.

Boater Sam

Posted : 03/12/2020 10:18 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)

This transformer will deliver 20 watts RMS from a pair of EL84s.

https://www.altronics.com.au/p/m1120-20w-100v-line-pa-ei-core-transformer/

Yes from Australia but don't let that put you off. AU$1 = 55 GB pence so halve the price, roughly.

Here is the amp I designed using it. The EL84s are driven by cathode followers so as to not pump up the bias when driven into clipping. It clips cleanly when overdriven, unlike most other designs. If interested I can post the power supply design too, but I thought this might be the basis of a few ideas.

6BQ5 amp

You might be able to find a similar PA 100v line transformer from a more local source, but I can vouch for this one.

BTW, PA line transformers can only be used unmodified with push-pull amps. For single ended use, you can restack the core so as to get a suitable air gap.

Posted : 03/12/2020 10:29 am
Davek0974
(@davek0974)
Topic starter

Posted by: @irob2345

This transformer will deliver 20 watts RMS from a pair of EL84s.

https://www.altronics.com.au/p/m1120-20w-100v-line-pa-ei-core-transformer/

Yes from Australia but don't let that put you off. AU$1 = 55 GB pence so halve the price, roughly.

Here is the amp I designed using it. The EL84s are driven by cathode followers so as to not pump up the bias when driven into clipping. It clips cleanly when overdriven, unlike most other designs. If interested I can post the power supply design too, but I thought this might be the basis of a few ideas.

6BQ5 amp

You might be able to find a similar PA 100v line transformer from a more local source, but I can vouch for this one.

BTW, PA line transformers can only be used unmodified with push-pull amps. For single ended use, you can restack the core so as to get a suitable air gap.

Thanks, that looks useful - there is a bit clipped off the input side, do you have a better file of it please??

Posted : 03/12/2020 12:07 pm
Davek0974
(@davek0974)
Topic starter

Posted by: @doz

Hammond do a configurable transformer, with half a dozen taps on it, there's a push pull and single ended variant. Only good for a couple of watts, but great for playing around with. 

http://www.hammondmfg.com/5caud.htm#Tube

Useful site, thanks, i need to look for a UK outlet now.

Posted : 03/12/2020 12:08 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered
Davek0974
(@davek0974)
Topic starter

Thanks, i see they are push-pull types, i think for simplicity on the bench a single-ended build would be good.

Maybe this one??

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/audio-transformers/2106475/

or

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/audio-transformers/1237242/

??

Posted : 03/12/2020 3:31 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@davek0974

The cheaper one is more versatile , just be careful with the max current of 40ma is not overloaded. Very much like the ones referred to by Sam that were always in the workshop spares cupboard.

I was not sure what you were after, thought it was push pull type. Still the links led you to other transformers.

Frank

Posted : 03/12/2020 3:54 pm
Davek0974
(@davek0974)
Topic starter

Yep, my fault for not mentioning, but as you said, got there in the end 🙂 

Posted : 03/12/2020 4:03 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Transformers are the bugbear in these cases. It's why I never brought my junkbox amp to the bench. Without cannibalising something else, I have nothing to build upon, though a member did suggest a transformerless design. I guess being a bit more of a traditionalist, I'd prefer a conventional design.

Keep an eye on eBay, they sometimes come up on there, and just right now, one seller is offering a few used mains input and audio output transformers (one of each as a set) for basic amp builders.

Posted : 03/12/2020 4:20 pm
irob2345
(@irob2345)

Posted by: @davek0974

here is a bit clipped off the input side, do you have a better file of it please??

That's just a source select switch. It's a ground referenced input.

Whoa! Those RS transformers are EXPENSIVE!

Posted : 03/12/2020 8:26 pm
Davek0974
(@davek0974)
Topic starter

Posted by: @irob2345

" there is a bit clipped off the input side, do you have a better file of it please??"

That's just a source select switch. It's a ground referenced input.

Whoa! Those RS transformers are EXPENSIVE!

Ok, great

Yes, any transformer over a couple of watts is silly money really, not seeing any good prices yet anywhere.

Have found a little Mullard two valve circuit that looks good for messing with,

Screenshot 2020 12 03 at 21.12.09

Posted : 03/12/2020 9:13 pm
Davek0974
(@davek0974)
Topic starter

I think this one is probably the best option in the end - its UK made, a good match for an EL84 build and although a bit pricey it has a good amount of iron in it unlike some of the tiny chinese variants...

https://primarywindings.com/product/el84-single-ended-3-5w-output-transformer-mullard-3-3/

Posted : 03/12/2020 9:59 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@davek0974

Look very well made, I wish they would put a postal address on their website. Any way found the address on the Made in Britain web site, they are in Chichester.

Frank

Posted : 03/12/2020 10:17 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@irob2345

RS are expensive but the products are usually well made and can be traced to source which with all the fake items about is good.

Frank

Posted : 03/12/2020 10:19 pm
Davek0974
(@davek0974)
Topic starter

Posted by: @nuvistor

@irob2345

RS are expensive but the products are usually well made and can be traced to source which with all the fake items about is good.

Yes, i've used RS a lot in the past for work and ever had an issue, always the correct items, well made stuff and extremely fast delivery.

Posted : 04/12/2020 6:29 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @davek0974

Have found a little Mullard two valve circuit that looks good for messing with,

Screenshot 2020 12 03 at 21.12.09

That is the famous Mullard 3-3. I wouldn't bother messing with it....it sounds very very good as it is. Not hi fi in the true tradition I suppose but gives an extremely good account of itself with a decent speaker and output transformer. I've built three of these in the past. One of them was as an ordinary record player amplifier. It was so good, I fitted external speaker sockets and built another for stereo.

Posted : 04/12/2020 8:43 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

You may find this a useful read

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/vintage-electronics-blog-forum/mullard-circuits-for-audio-amplifiers/

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 04/12/2020 9:02 pm
Davek0974
(@davek0974)
Topic starter

Posted by: @crustytv

You may find this a useful read

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/vintage-electronics-blog-forum/mullard-circuits-for-audio-amplifiers/

Great minds and all that - already have it on my laptop, ready for reading, that was the book where the circuit i posted came from 😉 

Looks like a bit of a bible that one 😉

Posted : 04/12/2020 9:09 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: