2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

https://www.transdiffusion.org/2015/12/22/favourite-channel

I've always been fascinated by this station from the moment I was told they still transmitted in black and white into the '70s. Indeed the ITV 1972 book stated all programmes now originate on the 625-line system except the local programmes of Channel Television.

It  was in fact the latter half of 1976 when the UHF 625-line colour service was introduced!

The above link is a fascinating read plus a re-creation of a 1974 opening with the IBA Transmitters in Service slide listing only the one 405-line transmitter!

There's also a look at a couple of pages from the Channel TV Times. There's an advert for Rediffusion "Island TV Service".

With French TV available I doubt they made special dual std 405/819 line models!

I wonder what happened to all of the 405-line capable sets when the colour service started? 1976 wasn't that long ago.

I received the Fremont Point UHF transmitter via tropospheric propagation in 1982 when in Chippenham, Wiltshire as viewed on a 20" Thorn 1500 receiver.

cheers

Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170824_467.jpgBrian

Posted : 24/08/2017 12:09 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

That picture looks about equal to how we used to receive ATV Midland, here on the North and East Yorkshire boundary, on 405 in the early/mid 70's - Always seemed at it's best in the late Summer (August into September). Granada from Winter Hill could sometimes be as good, but not as reliable. Meanwhile, Anglia from Belmont was always a year round reliable signal unless it was snowing, raining exceptionally heavily, or was pea-soup foggy.

Posted : 24/08/2017 9:54 pm
Share: