Charging NiMH Batteries.

4 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi, I have had a nicad charger for many years. But now all rechargable batteries are NiMH types and i find that my old nicad charger does not fully charge them. Why is this?  Malc.

Posted : 16/09/2019 9:54 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Google is your friend but you will find a lot of conflicting opinions. That said the consensus seems to be you cannot and more importantly should not charge NiMH Batteries with a NI-Cd charger.  This is due to the different charge-rates of Ni-Cad & Ni-Mh batteries, one of three things may happen if you attempt to use a NI-Cad charger to charge Ni-Mh batteries.

1. The charger will only ever part-charge the Ni-Mh batteries - this is what you're experiencing
  2. The charger will over-charge the batteries - low probability of this happening.
  3. The charger will correctly charge the batteries - Very low chance of this happening.

The best sort of charger is one of the more expensive types that can auto-detect when the battery is fully charged and switch to trickle charging mode. Avoid the ones that will simply charge for a set time period as they may well over charge the batteries and shorten their life.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 16/09/2019 11:23 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @crustytv

That said the consensus seems to be you cannot and more importantly should not charge NiMH Batteries with a NI-Cd charger.  This is due to the different charge-rates of Ni-Cad & Ni-Mh batteries

In one. 

One of my older cordless phones actually had a battery setting in its menu for NiCd/NiMH.

Posted : 16/09/2019 11:38 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi, many thanks for the info. My nicad charger i have had for 30 years, Uniross make. I have located Uniross NiMH charger of similar design on the net. Awaiting delivery. Cheers, Malc.

Posted : 16/09/2019 12:30 pm
Share: