5 Posts
5 Users
9 Likes
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

For anyone who hasn't seen this video, it's an interesting watch;

It's a shade confusing at the start because we enter in a midway job in progress, but stick with it, and all the relevant elements are in there, quite absorbing to watch.

Enjoy.

Posted : 22/02/2020 1:58 pm
Red_to_Black, Nuvistor, Red_to_Black and 3 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Certainly have but if you want the "full monty" of CRT rebuilding from start to finish, you can find no finer example, than that of the master at work, Scott of 'Hawkeye' fame. Sadly like all the others, Hawkeye are no longer in business. This video documents the entire process, very absorbing, definitely a cuppa and biccy time.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 22/02/2020 4:23 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

I wonder if the rebuild of the very rare tube was successful with all that crackling and pinging when the air was going in? The video finished before the evacuation was completed.

Posted : 22/02/2020 6:21 pm
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)
Honorable Member Registered

Never done a regun but as an apprentice got involved with making many different types of CRTs from the basic parts to finished article.

Done some glass work, re-necking, pyroceramic jointing etc. Never assembled an electron gun though.

Outgassed and pumped down lots, all so very time consuming. Its not surprising that there are no rebuilders at all, for the minimal return for time expended it's a non-starter commercially.

Mod Note: Removed unnecessary blue colour used on entire first sentence. See rule #2 here ? 

Boater Sam

Posted : 23/02/2020 2:16 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Forty years ago I was on a computer course and one of the students ran his own CRT re-gunning business. He wanted to get out then, now whether that was down to him not being very good at it or if it genuinely was not worth his effort I don’t know. 

Frank

Posted : 23/02/2020 10:01 am
Share: