Featured
Latest
Curiosity - hopeful...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Curiosity - hopefully won't kill the cat. Samsung series three LCD television.

5 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

This is just idle curisity about a feature on one of my Samsung FP TVs, and that, is this. . . What is the purpose of the "Blue Only Mode" feature in the picture options menu? It's not as though the picture is actually watchable, nor even very appealing from any aesthetic point of view.

My own, only thought was, Is it anything to do with 'screen washing' - to remove/mitigate the effects of screen-burn from static images, menus and/or video games with fixed backdrops etc? I've heard of, but never seen, LCD sets with various anti-screen-burn techniques built in, but is this one of them?

Posted : 25/07/2020 7:36 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Is this the same?

CEBCA559 5B7E 4995 BAEF 62F1775FC013

Frank

Posted : 25/07/2020 9:58 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

@nuvistor

Not on mine! - If you select "Blue only mode" the picture remains visible, but minus the red and green components, and it applies to all modes, be they analogue RF, DVB, or any of the AV inputs. So even a perfectly normal picture can be made to turn blue.

The menu item in your picture, above, seems to refer to the default 'blue screen on no signal' or in that case, it seems on weak signals too.

Posted : 25/07/2020 10:29 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @katie-bush

What is the purpose of the "Blue Only Mode" feature in the picture options menu?

Now, sticking my professional hat on, that had a very specific purpose in the PAL days and there was usually a button for it on monitors: it was there to set the saturation. The idea was you fed the set with 100% colour bars, and then you adjusted the saturation (read: 'colour') so that all the blue bars on the screen were of equal brightness. 

Posted : 25/07/2020 10:38 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

@cathovisor

Ah, now that's interesting, and does seem to make logical sense, but I just set up the telly to suit my own preference! I could see how it might be useful if you had several sets showing the same images, in the same room - say, a lecture hall.

Posted : 25/07/2020 10:42 pm
Share: