Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Fibre Optic Switch Over Day (FSO)

Page 2 / 2

Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

I usually use Ookla https://www.speedtest.net but BT have their own. If you use Ookla try a few different servers, the path to server can be congested at times.

I have not used it on  PC, usually use my iPad.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2020 2:16 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Illustrious V-Ratter Moderator

Interesting.

I've just completed a BT diagnostic test, and I'm supposed to be running at 45.6Mb/s right now, but the test went further to say that there is ongoing work that will be affecting broadband speed, and I should recheck in about 24 hours.

So, although it's not the usual fancy dashboard style check, it was adequate, but as ever, I can't help but think that they would give themselves a glowing report, because it's their network, their diagnostics, and in their own interest.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/03/2020 2:20 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Remember results are skewed and not indicative of the actual speed to premises, if you speed test via wi-fi. Always do it where possible via a wired connection direct from your router to your device. Same goes for the awful power-line adapters. Direct wired connection will reveal the true speed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2020 2:20 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

@nuvistor Hi Frank, that gives me a 'Ping' @ 26ms, 'Download' @ 41Mb/s, and upload @ 9.49Mb/s

So, a bit more conservative than BT's figure.

Visually, things appear have 'clocked up' a bit whilst I've been online, so I'd suspect it will take a while to settle.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/03/2020 2:26 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

@crustytv Hi Chris, Thankfully, I don't have any power line adaptors - they've never been very successful for me, though I was checking via Wi-Fi. I'll need to find a cable to test with that way, and right now, I wouldn't know where to look for one, short of buying a new one.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/03/2020 2:30 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

I am at my local Hospice and it’s quiet on reception for a few minutes. I tried a speed test, it’s over WiFi, 83Mb/s down 61Mb/s up, ping 23ms, I don’t know which provider they use, a bit faster than my home.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2020 2:32 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

@nuvistor I've just tried a few more servers, and although the 'ping' varies quite significantly from one to another, the up and down speeds are all broadly the same at around 40Mb/s down, and 9Mb/s up.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/03/2020 2:43 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

The proof of the pudding, as they say, is in doing something meaningful with all this extra speed!

Today I updated my Sat-Nav (Tom-Tom Go 60), a task that took upward of six hours. last time I did it. Today's update included, Firmware, "Mapshare" (where users have notified Tom-Tom of map errors on the device), UK and European mapping, "Charging Station" (never had that before!) and "Speed Camera Database", or about 8~9Gb of data in all, plus machine stops and starts, reboots an whatnot. It took a rather impressive one hour and about forty five minutes! I am suitably impressed!

Doing the speed test as above, I still get (typical) averaged figures around 26ms ping, download 43Mb/s, and upload 9.5Mb/s.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/03/2020 11:19 pm
Alex728 liked
Alex728
(@alex728)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

with regard to telephone line tests, AFAIK 17070 has always been DTMF only - it was the old SALT (Subscribers Apparatus Line Test) from the 1980s on 175 which worked on both LD and DTMF signalling (the one which had the "Start Test" voice rather than "This circuit is defined as...") but I'm not sure if BT/Openreach still have any SALT equipment (it was still present at the local exchange where I work (a village in Mid Suffolk) as recently as about 2013..)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 7:55 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

I've just had an email from BT telling me I'm about to be bumped on to FTTC and get a free router. I didn't ask for this, and I certainly don't want their router - how my router is managed is my business, not theirs. It will happen at the end of July, which gives me time to bin BT and its exorbitant fee anyway. TBH, I'm quite happy with my 14Mbit/sec ADSL.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2020 3:51 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

I also fear being forced to use a new router as it took me five months to figure out how to switch between servers using my current one and have no wish to repeat the exercise.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2020 6:46 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

@ntscuser

As far as I know (perhaps Marion can answer this) the routers come pre-configured so in theory, you just plug it in and off you go: but I have a few custom rules and configurations on my current router and to make matters worse, I don't know if you can turn the public connection sharing off that BT routers offer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2020 9:05 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

I am wondering when other suppliers will start changing over the FTTC, my local cabinet is that far away it’s will at most double the speed. If there is no cost increase I will probably go with it, otherwise I will look elsewhere. OK for the time being.

It is a Sky router, I have changed some options,  passwords etc but left otherwise.

I wouldn’t be happy with the public connection that BT provide.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2020 9:41 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

@cathovisor

I believe the BT ones do, and from what I can see, mine automatically connects to the server with the best data connection (Mb/s). I never get the same server twice in succession, but with regards to 'plug in and off you go' that is definitely case.

With regard to public sharing, it used to be the case that you had to 'opt in' to give BT permission to enable public sharing (hot-spot) on your router, which now shows as "BTWifi X" which is a secure connection, and "BTWifi" which is an open connection. In the days before fibre, it was "BT with FON" and another that I can't remember. I don't think we have the ability to opt out nowadays.

Also, as I now discover, BT are trumpeting their "Free" upgrade to 'BT Halo 1' - Free, as long as you don't mind being locked into a 24 month contract. - I think I can resist that.

At the moment I'm not tied by a contract, but if BT force my hand, I can foresee a parting of the ways. As a Sky subscriber (TV) I could be tempted to put my eggs all in one basket, or, as my neighbours are happy with it, Plusnet, and before that, Orange (colloquially referred to as gingernet).

I plan to see what happens in response to my disregarding BT's emails.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/06/2020 10:04 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

@katie-bush

Plusnet being wholly owned by BT of course. ? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2020 10:15 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

@cathovisor

Naturally! - But, playing to a different set of rules, apparently.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/06/2020 11:46 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @katie-bush

playing to a different set of rules, apparently.

100% true. Not one whiff of the B.T. bovine excrement, the minute there ever was, I'd be off.

Happy customer since 2012, fibre and three mobile contracts with them. Intelligent engineers for both IT and telecoms and whats more, a UK call centre based in Yorkshire. The 1st line agents are switched on, polite and are not "script-zealots". If when out of their depth, pass you to 2nd and 3rd line without a fuss. I won't be going anywhere else, anytime soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/06/2020 10:47 am
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

I was forcibly 'upgraded' to FTTC by Openreach at midday today without any warning. (They had promised to warn me by telephone). I'm now unable to view or edit my own website using the router Talk Talk sent me except by using a proxy server. It's called 'loopback' apparently and is a known issue with many routers. The stupidity is this entire area is scheduled for demolition in the next few months so there will be nobody using the new lines, half the properties are already abandoned and boarded up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2021 10:00 pm
Page 2 / 2