Tech Chat FLAT SCREEN! (Sorry!) - 37" Polaroid

11 Posts
7 Users
27 Likes
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

Sorry to post this... but im reasonably interested in this TV.

I've had many horrible flat things in to "repair" usually get thrown away, some I have had to replace entire boards (cheaply) and that's sorted it, some have had failed LEDs and would cost a fortune to replace and then there's the really basic faults. 

This is actually 15 years old, and the only fault found was a constant "fart" on the sound which didn't go away with volume. I was pleasantly surprised to find a plastic access hatch, then a metal part with 3 screws giving access to ALL the boards! There we go, 2 1000uF Capacitors bulging at the top in the PSU board. 4 screws, the board was out, back in and done. I know they did "planned obsolescence" but i'm wondering if, in recent years they've made the faults much more complicated, to avoid us sad saps repairing them? 

polaroid2
polaroid1

Now I HATE flat screens, My "daily" tv is my 1981 Bush and will stay that way until the tube goes poof, but I am surprised to see how well built this was, especially as Polaroid was a cheap brand (Vestel owned maybe??). I was also surprised the picture given is actually very good for an early flat screen, and one which is only 720p. I know of much newer TVs with half the definition this done on strong lines and colours. 

It also makes me wonder.... Will there be a collectors market for these in years to come, especially if some do seem to hang on and age quite well. 

polaroid3

Posted : 20/06/2022 7:05 pm
crustytv, Lloyd, PYE625 and 6 people reacted
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @jskinner97

Sorry to post this...

You are forgiven, but only if you turn off the colour and pretend it is black and white 405 line. 

It's amazing how they squeezed the valves into a flat thing like that. 😊 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 20/06/2022 7:12 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

Nowt wrong with fixing these flat things! One of my first posts on this very forum was about a plasma telly I found by a bin! Sometimes, despite being awful things, they can be interesting to work on.

I’ve not encountered a farting television set yet, but I did encounter a farting Ultra coronation twin! That was a duff cap too..

Will they become collectible? Who knows! I have kept a few, the nicest is a little 15” widescreen Panasonic from back when such things as flat screens were fairly new, it looks quite neat, picture is ok, it has good sound thanks to a built in mini subwoofer, probably better than on most larger sets!

Regards 

Lloyd 

Posted : 20/06/2022 7:22 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted by: @jskinner97

It also makes me wonder.... Will there be a collectors market for these in years to come, especially if some do seem to hang on and age quite well.

I wondered that too, see here.

p.s.

No need to hide the flat TV thread in the lounge, it's a perfectly acceptable repair and can sit in the Tech Discussion section, which cover modern tech as well as old. Thus, I've moved it over. 👍 

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 20/06/2022 7:24 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

If people get seriously upset by flat panels on the forum, and you really want to upset folk, then stick a flat screen in a spare empty CRT cabinet. Welcome to the AlbaPye.

albapye

Posted : 20/06/2022 7:41 pm
Lloyd, PYE625, Lloyd and 3 people reacted
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @crustytv

If people get seriously upset by flat panels on the forum...

I think that is pretty unlikely, but I was being cheeky. I can't help it 😋 

It's hard to believe that flat panel set's have been around for as long as they have now. But who on earth back in the 70's and 80's would have thought the then current items would be serious collector's kit now?

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 20/06/2022 7:51 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @pye625

It's hard to believe that flat panel set's have been around for as long as they have now. 

First one I saw was a Grundig (I was working for Philips at the time) but Grundig managed to get their first one on the market just before Philips (and there was a tentative tie-up with Philips/Grundig at the time). Not exactly sure when but it was during a Trade Show and everyone was looking at the Grundig....mid-late 90's I think but yes the large screen Plasma sets must have been around 20 or more years ago....they're almost vintage......!

Posted : 20/06/2022 8:37 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

I can remember back at my first job, which would have been around 2002-2003, there was a contract to refurbish some Fujitsu plasma screens, I wasn’t involved in it, I was refurbishing Nokia phones instead. I remember everyone was very interested in them when they turned up! The whole factory at the time only had 14”CRT screens for the computers.

Regards 

Lloyd 

Posted : 21/06/2022 9:14 am
WayneD
(@wayned)
Honorable Member Registered

Posted by: @pye625

It's hard to believe that flat panel set's have been around for as long as they have now. 

Andi Peters burning his mouth on a plasma screen in the late 90s:

Ignore the deceptive 16:9, the plasma is actually a 4:3 screen but the clip has been uploaded to YouTube in the wrong aspect ratio.

We still have our first flat screen, which was a 43" Panasonic plasma we bought new in 2011. My son currently uses it for gaming but it'll be getting moved into the loft soon as it consumes a massive 400 watts! My Rediffusion Guildford with its valves and mains dropping resistor consumes 160 watts... 

Posted : 21/06/2022 5:19 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted by: @wayned

We still have our first flat screen, which was a 43" Panasonic plasma we bought new in 2011. My son currently uses it for gaming but it'll be getting moved into the loft soon as it consumes a massive 400 watts!

Indeed, 400W is exactly what the Philips G6 consumes, and that has 22 thermionic bottles inside.  I still have my 2007 50" Samsung plasma, still going strong, though rarely used these days for the exact same reason, it's like having a radiator on. Can't bring myself to throw it away, but I feel that will have to happen soon, keep hoping it will die first.

Posted : 21/06/2022 5:28 pm
WayneD, WayneD and WayneD reacted
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)
Honorable Member Registered

At least you can turn the heating down on winter. Yes it uses energy but it's also a source of heat so the losses are not as great as you might think especially in a well insulated room. 

Cheers,
Trevor.
MM0KJJ. RSGB, GQRP, WACRAL, K&LARC. Member

Posted : 22/06/2022 8:20 am
Share: