Tech Chat From A Spare Part, TVs Doth grow

18 Posts
7 Users
9 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Do you remember long ago I obtained an empty Baird 8724 TV cabinet, and from that I grew a TV?

I've been waiting years to find this particular TV, and I had just one part from it in stock. Well today I managed to buy the entire TV, whose going to be clever little V-ratter and guess what TV it is.

20210524 123051[1]

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 24/05/2021 11:36 am
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

BRC 4000? Is it an HMV 2726.

Posted : 24/05/2021 11:44 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Wish it was David, I do know where there is a BRC 4K TV, and the chap is going to contact me when he sells it, however this is not the TV I've just bought.

Posted : 24/05/2021 11:48 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

A TV set from the Continent?

Posted : 24/05/2021 11:53 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

👍

Posted : 24/05/2021 11:55 am
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

I’ve seen those before. Telefunken I suspect?

John.

Posted : 24/05/2021 11:59 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)

@crustytv I have a 4000 service manual.

Posted : 24/05/2021 12:06 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

just done some googling for Telefunken, came up with a thread on UKVRRR for a ‘PALcolor 743’, which looks like it’s got these touch tube buttons!

Regards 

Lloyd.

PS: I’ve got the innards of a 4000 remote!

Posted : 24/05/2021 12:20 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Well done Lloyd, indeed it's a 1974 26" Telefunken 743 GB which used the 711 chassis. I'll start a new thread in the colour section when it arrives. The continental side of my collection is now coming along rather nicely.

p.s.

I'm hoping the 4k might be sometime this year, but we shall have to see, prying it away from where it is has been a long process.

Posted : 24/05/2021 12:24 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

The TV is the one at the bottom of this brochure, and the service data is in the library.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/telefunken/

Posted : 24/05/2021 12:39 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Beaten to it, but I was going to say "Telefunken 711 chassis touch buttons" because at one time, I had three of them but the longest-lived was my 743.

Lucky you - I have Telefunken Envy now! Hopefully yours won't have the odd fault that mine did which made the electricity meter rattle when it was on...

Converging these is a doddle as they have active convergence - two screwdrivers in the slots underneath, pull the grey tray out then start at no. 1 and work your way across to no. 28.

Easily the best delta-gun set I owned. Sound quality is excellent too.

If you're up for it, remote channel change can be implemented using an SAA5010 to drive the SAS560/570.

Posted : 24/05/2021 12:39 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

It's good your continental section is growing as those sets play a major part of the early history of colour in the UK.

Bradford-based Telefunken with the vertical piano keys next, or an ASA? 

Posted : 24/05/2021 2:41 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Hi Mike, now an ASA would be nice, one cropped up three years ago down in Bristol, a CT5000, I posted about it here, I have the service data for the range. They were originally imported by a firm in Bristol. That particular TV never surfaced here or over on UKVRRR, can only hope it ended up in a private collection and not a cat bed.

Posted by: @cathovisor

It's good your continental section is growing as those sets play a major part of the early history of colour in the UK

That's the exact reason I decided to diversify my collection to include them, as you rightly point out, the continentals plugged that gap during the colour boom when the UK manufacturers couldn't keep pace with the demand.

Unfortunately, it all too clearly showed where our home-grown sets were lacking in both features and quality. They're very difficult to source, in part due to the smaller numbers imported than the amount of UK manufactured sets. I've been very lucky to find the ones I have, my collection now stands at around one third continental.

Still looking to find Finlux, Finlandia, (was offered one recently, but it was a Salora 1F in disguise) Skantec, ASA, Nordmende (not the 4-screen monster that recently appeared). Others? Maybe a continental Philips, a Swedish K70, though with my recent foray into the SS G6... Hmmm.

Posted : 24/05/2021 3:12 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

What you need, Mr. Crusty, is a 'real' SABA filled with thyristors and motorised controls (and that includes the on/off switch). 

A S6735 would fit the bill nicely. 

Posted : 24/05/2021 3:48 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Ah, now one of those turned up about a month ago with the same fellow I bought the TFK from, and it sold for less than thirty squids! Although at the time very tempted, it was missing its legs, a bit tatty, and it was a large console. I needed another console like I needed the proverbial head vent, though I'll break that rule at the drop of a hat to accommodate the 4K. I'm trying to avoid big screens, but then I go and get this 26" TFK. 🙄 

Posted : 24/05/2021 4:08 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

Nice! I can’t claim all the credit, as John mentioned Telefunken, so I went on a googling spree 🙂 

I’m sure I’ve seen such buttons before though, there was a video on YouTube of someone from a museum who had been donated what looked like a warehouse full of decaying TV’s and monitors, and I’m sure in the video there were several Telefunken sets with these buttons, I also think he was actually offering a lot of the sets too.

Have you come across any Korting sets? I’m still on the lookout for a Korting Nimbus TV that my grandparents had when I was little, I have fond memories of the picture turning blue and my grandad getting up to bat it one to bring the colour back! Percussive maintenance at its best!

Regards 

Lloyd 

Posted : 24/05/2021 5:27 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @lloyd

Have you come across any Korting sets?

Yes there's one in my collection, not the usual Transmare this one is badged as Telesure

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/korting-telesure-54673/

Posted : 24/05/2021 5:31 pm
Lloyd, Lloyd and Lloyd reacted
Spot-Wobble
(@spot-wobble)
Honorable Member Registered

I have a nice B&O (with metal remote control!) festering in our (atelier - workshop) across the road from us. Last time when the TV was powered up in Scotland (5 years ago) it produced a very good picture. Hopefully that will be the case when it next gets powered up. I have now acquired (over the past few years) a 1970's Polish TV, 2 1950's 819 line French sets - Radiola, Gaumont and one dual standard 1960s or 70's 625/819 line set Ribet des Jardins. Looking forward to getting them on the bench!

Posted : 04/08/2021 3:58 pm
Share: