Future collectables.......?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Not so long ago, I visited a second hand dealer in town and spied there, a Loewe 26" LCD TV, competitively priced, but minus its remote control handset. The set was, I believe, the Loewe Concept Individual 26, and looked identical to the one in the attached picture;

Loewe LCD

An unimpressive set by today's standards, with HD at 720p, only one HDMI port, and for all I know, no DVB (or at least, if it does, it's not marked anywhere on the set front), but as a 'high end' model, not too many around I shouldn't think, I did wonder if this might well be a classic/collectable of the future. The sound performance was absolutely outstanding and would probably pass as true Hi-Fi. Appearance wise, it made me mindful of a microwave oven, but then that would also make it easy to wipe clean!

So, I was just wondering what would others consider of today's audio, radio and TV devices likely to be wanted/collected in years to come, or are we so truly and deeply into the depths of a world that couldn't care less, and are we really the last bastion of those quirky people who endeavour to collect, preserve and restore the once ordinary trappings of everyday life?

Posted : 12/09/2018 8:52 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

There will definitely be collectibles in the future, there may well be a problem fixing them with spares and possibly knowledge being scarce. It’s difficult even now to get spares for some items.

Its perhaps easier to get some spares for 50-60 year old TV’s and radio’s than some modern equipment.

Frank

Posted : 12/09/2018 9:12 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Honorable Member Registered

Marcel's Museum already has a plasma screen in the collection, 480p!

http://www.marcelstvmuseum.com/Philips%2042PF5411%2042%20inch%20plasma%20television%2001.html

If my experience is anything to go by obtaining original remote handsets in working order will be the biggest problem. I recently purchased an entire Freeview receiver just so I could use its handset with my existing receiver.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 12/09/2018 9:30 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

For some time there has been debate within the BVWS about the future direction it should take - even about the name with one correspondent remarking that "wireless" means something very different to a younger generation.

There certainly doesn't seem to be the interest amongst twenty-somethings in the kind of equipment we are interested in but that's not surprising - it doesn't form part of their life story other than a curiosity or maybe a lifestyle choice by them (like the poseur couple I spied on the Nene Valley Railway the other week). But my point is that yes, I can imagine modern items becoming collectable but somehow only the smaller ones!

Posted : 13/09/2018 7:57 am
Alex728
(@alex728)
Estimable Member Registered

There is already a developing subculture of younger people (across UK, Germany and USA) collecting CRT TV's and monitors of the 1990s and 2000s, alongside 1980s-2000s era computers and games consoles - the display of these devices on CRTs rather than LCD is more aesthetically pleasing (in some cases the designers made use of the appearance of a CRT display to achieve certain graphics effects).

Collecting analogue hi fi equipment from 1980s onwards also remains popular.

Although (for tellies) older sets are less popular as they lack SCART/RGB inputs (that are used especially with the consoles and 1980s 16-bit computers like the Amiga and Atari ST), there is definitely a resurgence in interest in collecting "older" electronics but it might span the era just after that of most of the equipment seen on this forum..

Posted : 13/09/2018 3:16 pm
Share: