Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Goodbye, son of CEEFAX...

Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

From www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49715314

"From early 2020, viewers will no longer be able to access text-based BBC News and BBC Sport content by pressing red," a BBC spokesperson said.

"It's always a difficult decision to reduce services, and we don't take decisions like this lightly, but we have taken it because we have to balance the resources needed to maintain and develop this service with the need to update our systems to give people even better internet-based services".

Even though I thought the MHEG system was a poor second fiddle to the original Teletext service, I shall miss it.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/09/2019 9:16 pm
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

I'm absolutely gutted, I use it every day. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2019 9:46 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Although I never used it as much as Teletext, a classic case for me where less is more I will miss it. Does this also mean we will lose the hidden test card trick?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2019 9:56 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

The only things the BBC provide for me is the news service and a few radio programmes. I can use the news web site but the red button provided a useful news service. 

Oh for the days long gone when I could also find some suitable entertainment on the BBC TV channels.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2019 3:15 pm
Pye Man
(@pye-man)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

These are tough times at the Corporation and hard decisions have to be made when slicing the meagre cake.

I used to enjoy the 'Red Button' Springwatch, etc., programmes but they were quietly dropped this year. Jazz programming on Radio 3 has this month been cut in half taking one of my favourite programmes with it - still I will make the most of the three and half hours that remain available across the five national music channels.

In this climate peripheral services are vulnerable but it's important to maintain vital services such as the four versions of Radio One that the BBC provide to what otherwise would be a pop-starved listening community. Doing this doesn't come cheaply. It's astonishing how much it costs to secure the services of a disc jockey but cueing up records whilst talking into a microphone is a rare skill that involves considerable multi-tasking - I'm told that some supremely talented people even managed to do this on a small ship rocking at sea. Amazing. Sports pundits do not come cheaply either but, there again, so few understand the intricacies of football that those qualified to comment on and interpret what is going on the pitch are rare indeed.

Things are so tough that I might even consider a voluntary donation over and above the required £150 annual fee. But on second thoughts I'll buy with it a year's membership to an American NPR station that provides programmes to my taste fronted by knowledgeable and not too excitable presenters.

Thank goodness for the internet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2019 7:19 pm
dawson5
(@dawson5)
New V-Ratter Registered

BBC really needs to make serious cuts to services and salaries.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2019 8:18 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Radio not TV but a right to-do about the removal of the the streaming service that Tunein provided for the online BBC radio station, it’s broken many ways to listen to the radio. All in the name of collecting our data.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/ba37d6b5-59fd-470d-9da2-dec1b45b8bd5

I should add this only affects UK listeners, anyone outside the UK it will still work, 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2019 8:35 pm