Grandads Colour Tellys

13 Posts
8 Users
6 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Not sure about the one to Grandads left but from the curved front, I think the one on the right looks like a 22" Ferguson Colourstar, but it could be a 9600 (3734) or 9800 (3749) series.

grandad

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 28/01/2021 3:30 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I will accept your choices, much more experience of Thorn sets than I have. I don’t recognise either.

Frank

Posted : 28/01/2021 4:48 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

I've mentioned before about the concave fronted Ferguson which has appeared in a number of episodes of Fools & Horses. It's not clear in that shot but if it's the same one it has 12 touchbuttons in two rows of 6 and 6 sliders also carry slots cut into the side of the cabinet. It has also appeared on Tommorow's World and other BBC current affairs style programmes, not sure of the chassis but would bet a 9600 series with isolation.

The HMV 1500 mono on the left is stood on top of what appears to be the same model with the back remove, note the orientation of the tuner.

Here's another three of Grandad's sets, a similar HMV mono, a Bush CTV1120 but badged Rank Radio International and what I suspect may be a Pye G11.

fools

John.

Posted : 28/01/2021 8:08 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @jayceebee

Here's another three of Grandad's sets, a similar HMV mono, a Bush CTV1120 but badged Rank Radio International

Ooo, I'd not seen that before, I've got one of those in my collection.

I'm hoping to get the bow tie stand (see below) made by a motorbike exhaust company, when lockdown ends, if it ever does. I got the entire Fools box set for Xmas, I've forgotten so many episodes, so its nice rediscovering the series.

Forum 142

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 28/01/2021 8:53 pm
WayneD, WayneD and WayneD reacted
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Reputable Member Registered

I remember in Cash & Curry they sell one set to raise money for a deal, only to remember later on Grandad was renting it!

My Dad used to like the episode where Grandad was wondering why he couldn't watch The Dukes Of Hazard on the new TV, only for Del to show it was actually a microwave!

In another episode Grandad takes a portable TV along when they have to paint the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant.

There are a few other televisual moments in the show but I won't bore you with them all!

Posted : 28/01/2021 11:10 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

No absolutely sure but I believe the stand is the Rank S800 or S850.

Some RRI products were marketed as Rank-Arena.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 28/01/2021 11:14 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @richardfrommarple

My Dad used to like the episode where Grandad was wondering why he couldn't watch The Dukes Of Hazard on the new TV, only for Del to show it was actually a microwave!

One of my former colleagues used to refer to the microwave oven in our maintenance room as "the food telly".

Posted : 28/01/2021 11:48 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Reputable Member Registered

I remember at the Golbourne event in November 2019 some boys used to flatscreens were calling the older sets on display microwaves!

Posted : 29/01/2021 10:48 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

@crustytv Rediffusion had the identical set, RT537/20.

Posted : 30/01/2021 11:02 am
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

Looks similar to Grandads telly, CGI demo from Tomorrows World.

Grandad

John.

Posted : 01/04/2021 2:17 pm
WayneD
(@wayned)
Honorable Member Registered

Grandad

As spotted in The Young Ones! The distinctive carrying handles give it away. I'm guessing it's a monitor of some sort with a scanning rate that won't interfere with the camera's scan rate.

youngonestv

Posted : 09/10/2021 3:57 pm
WayneD
(@wayned)
Honorable Member Registered

@crustytv If I can figure out how to do bends accurately I could probably make you one of these as I'm a welder/fabricator by trade. You'd have to find somewhere to chrome it though.

Posted : 09/10/2021 4:07 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @wayned

Grandad

As spotted in The Young Ones! The distinctive carrying handles give it away. I'm guessing it's a monitor of some sort with a scanning rate that won't interfere with the camera's scan rate.

youngonestv

It was an ordinary PAL telly fed from a source synchronised to the cameras.

Posted : 09/10/2021 5:15 pm
Share: