Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Heard/seen anything interesting with the tropo lift?

Page 1 / 2

Alex728
(@alex728)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

Unfortunately I didn't have a charged battery for my better receivers, but I was able to monitor multiple stations from Belgium, Netherlands, and France on Band II just using a mobile phone FM radio app that uses the headphones as the antenna. Haven't tried DAB/DAB+ either as I hadn't been in the car recently but a friend down the road I was chatting to online picked up a whole load of London stations that can't normally be received, also saw some chap in Clacton uploaded a Youtube video of a band scan and many Continental station on DAB..

Is it still possible to do TV-DXing with digital signals? I don't even watch linear telly myself but I read about many people cursing their Freeview reception is acting up (its all over the local news...)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/12/2019 4:53 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Just seen some comments on Downdetector about the Freeview problem. It used to happen with the old VHF/UHF television not sure why they get so hot under the collar, not much anyone can do until the high pressure changes. Plenty other things to do if the TV is not working.

Not listened for DX, to be honest didn’t know about the lift until yesterday evening while reading the news about Freeview problems.

I am enjoying a break in the weather from all the rain so quite happy with a dry spell.

As an aside, I remember in the late 50’s my dad converting and old 405 set to receive Sp E B1 from Europe, can’t remember the countries but there were quite a few, all from an indoor dipole.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/12/2019 5:20 pm
Alex728 liked
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @alex728

Is it still possible to do TV-DXing with digital signals? I don't even watch linear telly myself but I read about many people cursing their Freeview reception is acting up (its all over the local news...)

It's to do with the fact that Freeview multiplexes are not all transmitted at the same strength so when reception conditions change the weaker multiplexes suddenly become available or disappear again.

A couple of the national multiplexes were only ever intended to be temporary so as to boost the take-up of HD-capable receivers and are due to be switched off within the next two years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 3:24 am
Alex728 liked
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @ntscuser

A couple of the national multiplexes were only ever intended to be temporary so as to boost the take-up of HD-capable receivers and are due to be switched off within the next two years.

What's your source for the above? It's news to me. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 5:46 am
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)

Seriously? Which part of what I wrote is news to you? Do you not take part in any Freeview discussion forums?

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/maximising-benefits-700mhz-clearance

"Second, we have decided that 20MHz of spectrum in the part of the 700MHz band known as the centre gap should be allocated for use by mobile data (specifically mobile downlink). Linked to this, we have also decided to allow the interim multiplexes to continue operating in this spectrum until at least 1 May 2020, or until mobile downlink services in this spectrum are deployed. As a result of these decisions we are serviing notice on PMSE users that operate in the 700MHz band that from 1 May 2020 they will no longer have access to spectrum in this band to deliver their services."

Also:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0031/92659/Maximising-the-benefits-of-700-MHz-clearance-Statement.pdf

(subsection 5.4)

"In their submissions, Arqiva and DUK have argued that rather than releasing thecentre gap at the same time as the paired spectrum, we should defer the point atwhich it becomes available for mobile downlink until the beginning of 2023. They have argued that the interim multiplexes should be able to use the centre gap until this point."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 7:14 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

Seriously? Which part of what I wrote is news to you? Do you not take part in any Freeview discussion forums?

No, I don't. Normally I'm too busy generating content for Freeview to take part in forums, nor do I have any desire to. I barely take part on this forum let alone anything/anywhere else. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 8:54 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

I had read about some muxes being temporary but not really looked too deeply into what is occurring. My TV doesn’t have a HD decoder so I wouldn’t have received them. A sad fact for me is that we have so many channels available but little on them I want to watch. 

Accept I am probably a miserable old sod with that outlook but I can find so many other things to do if the evenings TV is not to my liking. I watched a programme on I think BBC 4 before Christmas, really enjoyed it then realised most of its content was 40 years old, it was about James Galway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 9:02 am
mfd70
(@mfd70)
Active V-Ratter Registered

I had wondered why I was getting French radio in the car whilst driving near Merthyr Tydfil...

IMG 20191229 WA0000

Not Brexit related then.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 11:30 am
Alex728 and Nuvistor liked
Terry
(@terrykc)
Famed V-Ratter Rest in Peace
Posted by: @nuvistor

As an aside, I remember in the late 50’s my dad converting and old 405 set to receive Sp E B1 from Europe, can’t remember the countries but there were quite a few, all from an indoor dipole.

As it happens, I mentioned Sporadic E reception elsewhere yesterday. Take a look here and see if it rings any bells.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 12:13 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Posted by: @terrykc
As it happens, I mentioned Sporadic E reception elsewhere yesterday. Take a look here and see if it rings any bells.

I do remember the TV125 sets being used for DX TV, from your post on the Golborne forum  I presume the TV115L had the dual standard IF strip. I only remember the 115 having a switched Line stage and conversion involved fitting the IF strip and tuner, never converted any though. I don’t think I fitted many UHF tuners to the TV125 either.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 12:57 pm
Terry
(@terrykc)

Yes Frank. The last of the TV115 series turned up fully dual standard except, of course, for the UHF tuner. These sets gained the 'L' suffix.

We converted quite a few TV115s, 115Ls and 125s but we were in the Crystal Palace area so these sets - particularly the TV125s - were virtually brand new when BBC2 started.

It took quite a while for the BBC2 roll out to include some parts of the country. Whilst the conversion cost stayed the same, the increasing age of the sets would have lowered the owners' perception of their value so, perhaps, they preferred to wait for BBC2 until they decided to invest in a new set.

Could this possibly have been the case wherever you were at the time?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 3:38 pm
Terry
(@terrykc)

Wednesday was half day closing but I was doing a bit of overtime one Wednesday in 1966 so I had the workshop to myself. There was a lift on, so I had a TV125 running on the soak test bench on 625-line VHF and picked up the RAI Uno test card - the only time I ever saw signals from Italy.

After a few minutes I noticed that the test card had gone and been replaced a very attractive announcer - completely different to those I was familiar with! She disappeared and the Eurovision card appeared which, in those days, carried the originator's identity in the centre. In this case it was BBC ITA!

This gave way to the opening credits: WORLD CUP 1966!

I've never been sure if this counted as long distance reception or not ...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 3:57 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Posted by: @terrykc

It took quite a while for the BBC2 roll out to include some parts of the country. Whilst the conversion cost stayed the same, the increasing age of the sets would have lowered the owners' perception of their value so, perhaps, they preferred to wait for BBC2 until they decided to invest in a new set.

Could this possibly have been the case wherever you were at the time?

Hi Terry,

This was partly the reason but we were not far behind CP in BBC2 roll out, about 18 months, late 1965. 
One major reason was the type of programme material BBC2 was transmitting, it was not that popular with the majority so spending money on a 3 year old TV and extra aerial was not that common for something they perceived they would not watch.

By 1965 all the sets we sold were fully dual standard and a suitable aerial was usually requested. When BBC1 started transmitting on Ch 12 (1966?) we fitted a ch 9-12 for Granada and BBC 1 with a Group C UHF all combined on one boom pointing to Winter Hill. 

BBC2 for me is now another BBC1 with BBC4 taking 2’s place.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 4:25 pm
Alex728
(@alex728)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

in 1985 we had this black and white combination TV/radiocassette with Band I tuner (but 625 lines) and I saw a PM5544 with marked with TELEVERKET, NORGE from my room on the top floor of a house in Tilehurst, Reading (almost as high up as Caversham Park where I lived for many years) - I had to look up in an atlas where "Norge" was, but guessed at Televerket being something like British Telecom..

This is the only time I've succesfully done any TV DXing, but its regular to hear the European radio stations round here so close to the North Sea - France Info on 105,2 MHz is common enough that I have it as a preset on the car radio (today full RDS was still coming through!) - I quite like to listen to it to prevent my French from getting too rusty..

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/01/2020 8:37 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Posted by: @cathovisor

No, I don't. Normally I'm too busy generating content for Freeview to take part in forums, nor do I have any desire to. I barely take part on this forum let alone anything/anywhere else. 

In that case I apologise as I had assumed it was common knowledge.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 9:36 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Posted by: @nuvistor

I had read about some muxes being temporary but not really looked too deeply into what is occurring. My TV doesn’t have a HD decoder so I wouldn’t have received them.

The original idea was that by encouraging more people to invest in DVB-T2 receivers the mainstream multiplexes could eventually be converted from DVB-T to DVB-T2 thus saving the public service broadcasters the costs of transmitting on two different standards.

That idea somehow fell by the wayside (along with a plan to convert the three national COM multiplexes to a Single Frequency Network). In the event fewer than 1% of the total Freview audience ever viewed channels on the temporary multiplexes and Ofcom have since stated it will be left entirely to individual broadcasters to decide whether to convert from DVB-T to DVB-T2 or not.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 9:44 pm
Nuvistor liked
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @cathovisor

In that case I apologise as I had assumed it was common knowledge.

And I accept your apology.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2020 1:21 am
ntscuser liked
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Worked into Stockholm on 70cm CW. 50W into a colinear. 6 overs. Not too shabby really! I did try 2m, but nothing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2020 12:46 pm
Alex728 and Nuvistor liked
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)

Permanent shutdown of COM8 multiplex later this month confirmed by Freeview:

https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/22-jun-2020-channel-broadcast-changes

There's no date at present for the shutdown of COM7

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/06/2020 5:31 pm
Nuvistor liked
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

@ntscuser

Thanks for that - I had to do a retune on one receiver this week as I discovered the hard way that Channel 5+1 was in the EPG, but not where it should be!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/06/2020 6:30 pm
Page 1 / 2