Clear all

Tech Chat Is there a Euro equivalent for the 6M5?

Reputable V-Ratter Registered

A 6BQ5 is the same as an EL84.

Is there an EL equivalent for the 6M5?

The EL83 (6CK6) is virtually the same valve but it has G3 brought out to Pin 6 instead of being linked to the cathode.

Topic starter Posted : 27/09/2021 1:30 pm
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Bernard’s equivalent book suggests EL80, can’t check the pin out out at the moment, there is also a E80L.

Posted : 27/09/2021 1:51 pm
Vrat Founder Admin

There are posts all over the web with identical enquiries, all seem to concur, EL80 is the equiv.

Here's just one example

Posted : 27/09/2021 2:12 pm
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

I somehow thought that it must be an EL80, but when I couldn't find it in Frank's pages I thought I must be mistaken.

I drew a blank on PL80 too!

I have never previously NOT found a valve / tube / vacuum device in this excellent resource. First time for everything I guess.

The 6M5 / EL80 suffers from a very bad choice of pinout, with G2 next to G1.

Early Mullard examples had silver plated pins. Over time the silver would migrate across the glass causing long-term intermittent crackles and bangs.

Topic starter Posted : 28/09/2021 11:14 am