Modern TV does odd things...

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Evening all... mate of mine phoned me today wanting help: his mate bought a 'Bush' TV three years ago from Argos as a replacement for some other set that failed.

Now, the 'Bush' has developed an interesting fault. If you press 'Menu' on the remote, the set goes into standby! He thought about doing a factory reset on it, but to do this you need to access the factory reset menu via the remote... which now turns the TV off of course.

Does anybody have any ideas how else a factory reset could be done? Argos don't want to know; my own view is that it should be reset by allowing a particularly heavy goods train to run over it.

Incidentally; the 37" Panasonic Viera TV I mentioned in @sideband's thread was passed on the day at the auction house...

Posted : 01/08/2019 8:00 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Never come across that before, I hate to ask but has he done the most basic thing and unplugged it from the mains for a few seconds? With some Vestel models pressing both Vol + and - simultaneously on the manual controls will enter the menu, that's if it has them of course.

Could also be the remote, any Philips RC5 TV remote will operate it if it is a Vestel.

John.

Posted : 01/08/2019 8:36 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi John,

He has tried another remote and apparently it does the same thing. It's one of the generation of 'Bush' sets that has a real on/off switch under the screen; I can tell him to leave it unplugged overnight or something, similarly I can tell him to see what happens if he presses those buttons as described. If it's the set I think it is, it does have those buttons.

I've been caught out by that on/off switch at work; some of these sets are used as props on some TV programmes I work on and are occasionally needed to be seen 'in-vision'. Guess who spent ages trying to get one working, not knowing about that switch...? ? 

Posted : 01/08/2019 9:01 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

I have a similar fault with a no-mark Chinese set that's in the bedroom. The remote (and incidentally the controls on the set too) get confused and start doing other things. Leaving it un-plugged for a bit sorts it (so far!) 

Posted : 02/08/2019 9:12 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @cathovisor

my own view is that it should be reset by allowing a particularly heavy goods train to run over it.

...it probably wouldn't need to be particularly heavy.....!

What annoys me about branding these days is names like Bush being associated with this tat. I actually heard someone in a supermarket the other day saying 'Well I remember Bush from my schooldays and they were always a good make...….'!

Posted : 02/08/2019 12:53 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

How do you think I feel about the association, Rich?! 

As for the heavy goods train - it's just to make sure.... 

Posted : 02/08/2019 1:10 pm
turretslug
(@turretslug)
Honorable Member Registered

Posted by: @sideband

What annoys me about branding these days is names like Bush being associated with this tat. I actually heard someone in a supermarket the other day saying 'Well I remember Bush from my schooldays and they were always a good make...….'!

This turns my by now jaded stomach too! The sad thing is that when a long-respected firm turns turtle for the usual well-rehearsed reasons, that intangible thing the "brand" may be worth millions to an "entrepreneur" but the production line is worth what residual the metal men are prepared to pay for it and the hundreds of man-years of acquired knowledge and skill are a disposable ephemerality. Factory is bulldozed, skilled workforce is unwanted but applied brand bumps up the price of tat from a Far Eastern sweat-shop. I do get weary of hearing folk say, "Oooh, now such-and-such, that's a good make". I've given up trying to pass on basic lessons in business practice....

Posted : 02/08/2019 4:07 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: @turretslug

I do get weary of hearing folk say, "Oooh, now such-and-such, that's a good make". I've given up trying to pass on basic lessons in business practice....

Many, many years ago there was a piece on Call You and Yours where someone found this out the hard way: the brand in question was Grundig.

Posted : 02/08/2019 4:18 pm
Share: