Featured
Latest
Panasonic TX-L24XM6...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Panasonic TX-L24XM6B, Yamaha RX-V681, Lenovo Thinkpad X131e (AMD) running Debian Linux - overscan in dual screen

9 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter

I'm currently using the combination in the subject in my lounge, partly to provide a way to watch live entertainment on Facebook, and it's working well. Unfortunately, though, there's an overscan on the Panasonic TV when a VGA mode is applied, that pushes the edges of maximised apps off the screen.

On the TV, Menu -> Setup -> Other Settings gives access to an option for 16:9 Overscan, but this seems to make no difference.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to get a display independent of the resolution of the laptop's built in screen but without the overscan that makes apps hard to work with. This is purely a temporary measure, as I fully intend to build a dedicated computer for the setup in the near future, but if I were to encounter this as a "main screen" issue on that computer I'd be looking for a way to put it right then too, at least when not running Kodi..

I am pretty certain the Yamaha receiver is not affecting the symptom - an earlier experiment with a PC that sadly did not survive being connected to the network worked OK (once Wayland was disabled - with it the display emulated a lack of line sync), whether connected directly or through the Yamaha.

Would a test using my HDMI to AV adaptor be at all revealing? (I only just thought of that)

"Yes, a bit of wet string may get you a good TV signal here on four channels, but you'll have to dry it out to get Channel 5!"

Posted : 31/05/2020 6:59 pm
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Topic starter

Overscan also there with the HDMI2AV adaptor.

"Yes, a bit of wet string may get you a good TV signal here on four channels, but you'll have to dry it out to get Channel 5!"

Posted : 01/06/2020 9:32 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Way above my knowledge, forgotten nearly all my Linux know how, if you do a web search you will find lots of information an setting up monitor resolution and size but it will probably involve some command line work and bash script editing.

Something to give you a start.

https://mike42.me/blog/2018-02-how-to-use-hidpi-displays-on-debian-9

May not be relevant but there must be a solution.

The Yamaha box, is this an Audio amp with streaming facilities that you want to playback the sound from the Thinkpad? Yes I know been out the game too long, been left behind with what’s available. Really need a dunces cap emoji  for me these days. 

Frank

Posted : 01/06/2020 11:30 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

A thought, are you mirroring the laptop screen or set it up as two separate  displays? I would think it needs setting as separate displays then each display can have its own configuration.

Frank

Posted : 01/06/2020 11:42 am
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Topic starter

@nuvistor In response to your multiple messages, I am setting up as two different screens - not mirrored. I will have a look at that blog, but it seems what I need to do is to "box" the desktop within the overall resolution that the mode provides.

The Yamaha box is an AV amp - the HDMI output from the ThinkPad is connected as one of its inputs, the TV (or HDMI2AV) on the output. My Sky box and combo video recorder are similarly connected. I can get the picture and sound from any of them onto the TV, and if I wish the sound through the attached speakers.

Posted : 01/06/2020 7:06 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@emleymoor

You have quite a setup there, I can’t think of anything to help, you seem to be on top of it.

I used Linux for about 18 years on the desktop but that ended about 12 years ago. I would happily build a new kernel tailored to my needs and build applications from source but that knowledge has gone.

My own setup is very modest, TV, Sky box, DVD player, there is an Apple TV but doesn’t get used very often. All just plugged into the TV.

Hope you can find the solution.

Frank

Posted : 02/06/2020 6:24 am
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Topic starter

Resolved, though still strange in a way.

Setting the aspect ratio to "Auto" results in 16:9 with overscan on.

Setting it to "16:9" and "16:9 Overscan" to "Off" provides a correct full screen display.

Why the "16:9 Overscan" setting is ineffective in "Auto" is the real mystery.

Posted : 03/06/2020 8:09 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Glad you have resolved it, sit back and enjoy.

Frank

Posted : 03/06/2020 8:15 pm
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Topic starter

An adjunct to this - I spent a little time this morning going through the settings on my video recorder - a Panasonic DMR-EZ49V - and found a setting that I must simply have missed over the years I've owned this machine, that causes it to (quite correctly, of course) pillarbox 4:3 content, at least when playing a DVD. Some experimentation with the test card DVD shows I can see the full 4:3 testcard, in 4:3, when the TV is set to 16:9. I expect, if I change the TV type in the Connection settings to "Letterbox" when I use the Hitachi TV (once I've got it), it will then, instead, letterbox 16:9 content and leave 4:3 as is.

I have not yet tried out anything special, settings wise, on the Yamaha receiver.

Posted : 19/06/2020 9:32 am
Share: