Featured
Latest
Radio & TV Related ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Trade Chat Radio & TV Related Manufacturing in the N.E.

5 Posts
3 Users
6 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Found this interesting article from 1968 about the Ever Ready complex due to be completed four years later by 1972. The Tanfield Lea, Co Durham site would have then been the largest battery manufacturer in the world.

ev1
ev2

Now like all things related to Radio & TV, just a distant memory (as seen from drone perspective in 2015)

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 01/11/2020 10:35 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@crustytv
Has you say Chris, like many things related to Radio and TV.

Frank

Posted : 01/11/2020 10:57 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Indeed there seems there was a lot up here, Mullard opened a new CRT factory to meet the demand at Durham (Belmont) that was built in 1971. An amazing fact, in 2002 they made about 3.4 million Colour CRT's. That's a pretty staggering figure for one years production. They like Ever Ready, also employed 1500+ people and over its 34 year life manufactured over 65 million CRT's until its demise around 2005.

I also believe Mullard in Washington near Sunderland, used to make Deflection Yokes, and they made about 16 million.

There was also Allen-Bradley Electronics, a resistor factory at Jarrow.

Not forgetting Rediffusion just a few miles S.W. of Bishop Auckland known as St Helen Auckland. A good read can be found in our blog here.

Small scale, there was Teletronic re-gunners at Seaham (my Ferguson 3703 has one of their tubes). It would appear Teletronic house still exists at Strangford Road, Seaham but its now a Blacksmiths. There was also Dunelm Tubes at Billy Row.

There's probably many more but that's all I'm aware of.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 01/11/2020 11:07 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@crustytv
I never visited the Philips Deflection yoke factory but the company I worked for had computer equipment there and the NE engineers had visits to fix those computers. From discussions with them it was always on a knife edge, they had to produce the coils a few pence cheaper than the far east factories could.

How true? I only have their information and no reason to doubt their word.

Frank

Posted : 01/11/2020 11:19 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Thorn had three factories in Sunderland here in the North East, "A" factory for valves, "B" and "D" factories for monochrome CRT's and later colour re-gunning after monochrome production ended. Perdio produced radios in the town until the early 60's and Plessey, previously Ericsson until the mid 70's with telephone equipment.

John.

Posted : 01/11/2020 11:27 pm
Share: