2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi.

It's about three weeks since I took the plunge and joined the Radiomuseum. I'd been thinking about it for some time but I'd heard good and bad so I put it off for ages. Well I paid my fee and have started to upload pictures and other details. It is time consuming to be fair and the rules are tight regarding scanning and how photos are presented. I think this is fair to be honest as it would be silly to have quality photos sent in by some and poor quality scans and pictures by others. Photos need to be renamed and if uploading manuals it needs to be in the order laid down by RM, often this isn't in the page order of what the manufacturer did in the first place and personally I think this leads to confusion as you could jumping pages to keep on the right track.

I was intending to upload my official Murphy TV manuals but they have a good few pages, the V659 manual is comprehensive, so it will take an age to do. I have to say RM is a Terrific resource and I'm glad to have joined and put some of my stuff there (a lot to do though) it is time consuming and a slow process, if the kids were still here and I was working I'd not have the time to do it. I even thought about doing some of my items that are at Bob's but with upward of 500 sets in all I doubt that will ever happen.

Cheers,
Trevor.
MM0KJJ. RSGB, GQRP, WACRAL, K&LARC. Member

Posted : 14/10/2018 11:04 am
Topic Tags
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted By: Murphyv310

It is time consuming to be fair and the rules are tight regarding scanning and how photos are presented. I think this is fair to be honest as it would be silly to have quality photos sent in by some and poor quality scans and pictures by others. 

Hi Trevor,

Like you I agree and can certainly appreciate RM's stance as without certain rules and levels of quality control, their site would soon descend into chaos and appear a total mess, especially at their global scale. 

I'm not a member and have no intention of becoming one, not through any animosity towards them just that I simply have enough on my plate running my own branch of the vintage world without adding another. Over the years I've heard a mixed bag of views about RM ranging from outstanding to dreadful, no doubt the same is said of Vrat, probably more the latter for here. This is to be expected, human nature is involved, some will find it agreeable others will not.

As folk are obviously aware, over the past number of years I've operated this website, data library & forum and its certainly been an eventful ride. Data is an interesting one, initially I used to accept a lot of data donations but soon found a "minority" seemed to think this gave them rights to dictate how the data library and to a greater extent, how the site was run/operated, this as you can imagine was/is unacceptable.

As a result and at the time, I put an end to receiving data donations, its only in the past two years that I've opened it up again via the "My File Upload" service available via the members profile menu. It now has a strict set of guidelines associated with it and thankfully it seems to now run smoothly as expectations are set from the outset. You could say I learned the hard way what RM probably already knew through bitter experience.

I can only imagine the grief Ernst and his team are likely to have been exposed to over the years, they have my respect. If the experiences I've encountered here with my small branch of the vintage world are anything to go by, his must be multiplied 10/100/1000 fold.

Posted By: Murphyv310

I was intending to upload my official Murphy TV manuals but they have a good few pages, the V659 manual is comprehensive, so it will take an age to do

Agreed 100%  and I think this is the point a lot of folk miss. Anyone can quickly slap a manual on a scanner with scant regard for its alignment or dpi and hence quality. To produce something that is worthy of inclusion and representing the reputation of its source, takes time and effort. 

I'm sure we are all aware of a certain company that has offered scanned manuals for years. I bought one when I first started in this game over 10 years ago, it cost me £25 and was a joke, I could hardly read the component values. This is not an isolated incident as I've read others having the same problem, their reputation sullied through lack of effort. RM's stance ensures that they avoid the same problem, likewise here. We've not even touched on the cost of storage and associated bandwidth.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 14/10/2018 11:39 am
Share: