Notifications
Clear all

Samsung "Anynet+"

Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi all,

I have an older Samsung LCD TV which features "Anynet+" . Can anyone tell me what, exactly, that refers to?

I've had a play with the settings (which I don't really understand since I have no owner's manual), and it seems that the set now turns on automatically when I start up my SKY+ box - A useful feature, but is that it? Is that all it's about?

Or is there supposed to be something more to Anynet+?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/05/2020 9:53 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Hi Marion, it’s Samsung’s flavour of CEC, this explains it better than I can but it provides control of other equipment via the HDMI cable. To be honest it caused more problems than it solved and most people got along quite happily with it disabled.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2020 10:21 pm
crustytv liked
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

@jayceebee Hi John,

Ah, right, so I'm not really getting the full effect then. In my case, the TV turns on with the sky box, but that's all it does. The TV controller doesn't do anything to the Sky box, and the Sky box controller doesn't seem to do anything else to the TV unless you switch from "SKY" to "TV" on the controller, in which case you have a fully featured control of the TV, but that's what you'd get anyway with the Sky controller and the proper 'Skycode'.

I was just curious because it seemed such a pointless exercise if it only turned the telly on with the sky box, there is a  setting for "TV auto off" (or some such) which I've left as 'disable' otherwise the TV would turn off with the Sky box - Not very handy if I want to turn on the DVD or Blu-Ray! I'd have to manually turn the telly on again. . . hmm.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/05/2020 11:24 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

With something like a Sky or Freeview box it was simply power on and off synchronisation but with a home cinema setup or DVD you had a more comprehensive range of functionality. The problem is that each manufacturer has their own interpretation of the CEC specification and inevitably where the equipment is different brands some strange things happen.

I remember a spate of calls a few years ago about sets turning themselves on with the sound blaring in the middle of the night. It was found that one particular brand of Freeview box would silently look for a software update at 3am every morning, unfortunately it was also switching the on TV it was attached to. When it had finished it would go back to standby, the TV didn’t and went back to the last channel it’s own Freeview tuner had been selected much to the consternation of the people asleep upstairs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 7:02 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi John,

I guess that answers something I've been wondering about. A few weeks back my telly came on in the small hours, all by itself! I blamed the cat, but I guess that could have been the Sky box doing one of its software updates? - I get them from time to time.

I don't have anything else connected via HDMI at the moment, and the DVD/PVR is connected via a SCART lead (Oh aye, some people, well me anyway, still use those!).

Maybe I should disable the Anynet+ feature and stick to turning on the set and the box individually?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/05/2020 8:35 pm