Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Tech Chat Saved £140 on an electronic key fob....

sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

The electronic key for my Citroen C3 had been showing severe signs of wear around the buttons. A sort of rubbery stuff that first the markings disappeared and then went to holes. It didn't stop the key from working but made it more difficult to operate.

Enquiries to Citroen seemed the only option was a replacement key at £145!!! When I enquired as to the price I was told it was the 'complicated electronics' involved and it would need programming to suit my car.....and of course the key would need to be cut.

Next stop eBay, where I found replacement outer cases for the C3 fob at prices from £2 to £5. It was important to order the correct one (there are two types). One version has the battery mounted on the PCB, the other has the battery in a small compartment in the case itself. Mine was the version with the battery on the PCB so I placed the order and a week later the replacement case arrived complete with a new stick-on Citroen badge and a new battery. The new fob also comes with a blank key. However the actual key is attached to the mechanism by a small pin that needs to be driven out so that enabled me to re-fit my old key to the new mechanism. It was then a simple matter to remove the PCB complete with battery from the old fob and place in the new, clip the two halves together and have a fully functioning key again. It really was that simple and probably no more than 20 minutes work. As the battery wasn't disconnected, I didn't need to re-initialise the key (which is easy anyway), it just worked.

The most difficult part was removing the tiny pin from the mechanism that holds the key....all of five minutes! The mechanism allows the key to be folded into the fob and a button press pops the key out.

I ordered the more expensive replacement from a car accessory supplier. £5 much better than £145!

js1024 100 0316

The new fob seems to have different material for the buttons so may be harder wearing.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/08/2021 8:15 am
Red_to_Black, Alex728, turretslug and 2 people liked
John_D
(@john_d)
New V-Ratter Registered

@sideband I've done several of these, both on Nissans and Saabs, but I've usually gone one stage further and replaced the small surface mount push buttons, which only cost a couple of pounds more to buy if you get them with replacement casing.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2021 12:31 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Yes there was an option on one to have the switches as well but I decided against it since there was nothing wrong with the existing switches.  There is a nice positive click when either is operated. The new casing feels more robust than the original. So far all is well....

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/08/2021 8:43 am