Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Tech Chat Sky television set

Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Sky are selling a TV that is internet only, no satellite dish or aerial required, whether it will be a success time will tell. I wonder if broadcasters, BBC etc will be looking to use this in the future instead of the Freeview terrestrial platform or FreeSat? It will be a lot more expensive for the customers but that may not be a priority for the broadcasters if it saves them money.

Freeview will be around a long time, but if the Sky system does work then who knows in 20 years time.

A Sky minimum subscription plus broadband must be going on for £500 pa without films or sport. A lot more that approx £160 for a licence, that could well still be required.

Interesting times, I will stick with Freeview while available, which hopefully will be many years.

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-glass-new-4k-ultrahd-smart-tv-set-to-replace-satellite-dishes-and-boxes-12427480

Frank

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/10/2021 7:21 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @nuvistor

Sky are selling a TV that is internet only, no satellite dish or aerial required, whether it will be a success time will tell. I wonder if broadcasters, BBC etc will be looking to use this in the future instead of the Freeview terrestrial platform or FreeSat? It will be a lot more expensive for the customers but that may not be a priority for the broadcasters if it saves them money.

Guaranteed to be the way forward Frank, because then it allows the Government to force the BBC into becoming a subscription service rather than a licence-funded service as present; plus, think how much it would save on transmission costs and fees to Arqiva et al. Also, at the moment there isn't, as far as I am aware, sufficient bandwidth available via traditional means to transmit UHD (and beyond that).

If that were to occur, then it looks as though the repellent Peter Eckersley would finally get his wish of seeing broadcasting entirely wired, rather than wire-less.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2021 11:27 am
mfd70
(@mfd70)
Active V-Ratter Registered

Given how broken broadcast TV is at the moment (Bilsdale, Arqiva and Red Bee all having serious problems to deal with) maybe internet TV  will come quicker than we think !

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2021 11:42 pm