Forum 141

Tech Chat The Thorn 4000 Thread

28 Posts
5 Users
69 Likes
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Honorable Member Registered

Weighing in on this again, there are a number of related matters that have popped into my head....

1. You can understand AWA deciding to go with the UK Thorn technology at the time. After all, Thorn had the early running with the first solid state CTV, the 2000.

2. Narrow neck, 110 degree delta CRTs looked like being the best path in the early '70s.

3. Do you know of anyone who produced a really successful, reliable design using these CRTs?

4. Why was the Philips 110 degree (wide neck) delta CRT SO much better? I'm thinking of the Kriesler 59-01 which produced a picture closer to perfection than ANY CRT TV I've ever seen.

Posted : 20/09/2021 10:39 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)

I found some service, updates and modification notes for the AWA 4KA (Thorn 4000) that may be of interest. Even if to give some indication of just how hard AWA tried to make a go of it! I've extracted these pages out of a much larger document.

That document also covers the Mitsubishi "G Chassis" that followed the 4KA. There's not much there, the writer bemoans the fact that the G chassis has been so reliable they have very little experience with it!

Or I would upload it, except that the site tells me that PDFs are not allowed! Why so, pray tell?

Posted : 02/10/2021 10:43 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @irob2345

I would upload it, except that the site tells me that PDFs are not allowed! Why so, pray tell?

Covered in our FAQ section, for your convenience the two relevant articles.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/community/faq-members-only/attaching-images-to-posts/
https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/community/service-data-wanted/new-data-library-donation-service/

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 02/10/2021 11:02 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)

Thanks mate, I should have seen that. Makes a lot of sense. I've uploaded it.

Ian

Posted : 03/10/2021 1:33 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Many thanks Ian, It's now relocated into the appropriate section of the members Technical Data Library

p.s.

Those stock fault lists at the beginning may prove very useful 👍 

Posted : 03/10/2021 6:27 am
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)
Reputable Member Registered

IMG 3167
IMG 3166
IMG 3169

I've got 3 spare line/power boards (all minus the tripler) for the Thorn 4k and I've been meaning to take picture of the IC301's that are fitted and as can be seen all of them are fitted with TCE P100 without an E on the end of the number. Also none of them have had heatsink fitted (which was a mod to help reliabilty). This doesn't clear up why the manual shows the IC301 as a TCE P100E though but there you go. I do also have a 26" set and I hope to get round to looking at over the winter.  

4k1
4k2
4k3
4k4
4k5
4k6
4k8

Posted : 08/10/2021 10:59 am
Red_to_Black, Jayceebee, crustytv and 6 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @jcdaze

I do also have a 26" set and I hope to get round to looking at over the winter.

😮 My red and blue guns have failed, leaving me decidedly green 🤑 with envy, you dark horse you, so there is another out there. 👍 I seem to be no closer after nearly 2-years, closing the deal on the one I'm after, all very frustrating to say the least.

Posted : 08/10/2021 11:09 am
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)
Reputable Member Registered

@crustytv Maybe it will help you obtain the one your after knowing that it isn't the only one. I didn't know that they were that rare until reading past posts on here.  

Posted : 08/10/2021 11:27 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: